Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Transfer case output shaft seal?

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by topo4u2, September 29, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. topo4u2

topo4u2 Active Member

City, State:
      Ontario Canada
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1995 XLT
      I forgot to mention tonight that I found another problem today after a long drive yesterday. My front transfer case output shaft seal is leaking. It is not real bad but I think it is due since there is a very small left in the driveway. I lost about a pint after a 4 hour drive.
      Anyway, does anyone know what kind of job this is. It is a 4405 case I think. I have no hoist or jack so I may shoot this one to the tranny shop this week. I'm guessing about an hour's work?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Howard

Howard Moderator Elite Explorer Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Milton Keynes
      1998 SOHC UK SPEC
      A fairly straight forward job but you do need to raise the vehicle to remove the front driveshaft. Drain the oil from the transfer case and remove the yoke either with central bolt or circlip. Pry out the seal and tap in new one making sure that its square add a little grease to the lip. Them refit the yoke and drive shaft and top up the case with atf.

4. topo4u2

topo4u2 Active Member

City, State:
      Ontario Canada
      1995 XLT
      Thanks for the reply Howard. I made an appointment with the Ford dealer for Wed morning. They want $150 bucks plus they will give me a loan a car. I figured the hell with hit. Not something I should tackle in case I run into trouble.

5. topo4u2

topo4u2 Active Member

City, State:
      Ontario Canada
      1995 XLT
      Here is a good one!
      The dealer just called me and said that my X would be in the shop overnight because since they have never had to do this seal before, they had to order a special socket from Snap On. WOW! I guess I'm the first for them. Glad I did not try this one myself.

6. PekingMan

PekingMan Active Member

City, State:
      Tempe, Arizona
      1993 XLT 4x4
      Uh, that sounds like a load of crap to me. I would be really wary of this. That might have screwed up something bad on your car that they need to now fix and are using the delay as a way to get it fixed. Not to scare you or anything, but as an example, a friend of my parents took his J**p Grand Cherokee into the dealer to be worked on. After the work was done, one the mechanics took it out on a joy ride and got into a wreck. The dealer told him that it was going to take an extra 2-3 days to get the work done (I don't remember what it was in ther for). Needless to say he didn't believe it so he went to the dealer and found out what actually happened. The dealer, being caught with their pants down, gave him a brand new Grand Cherokee in exchange for not sueing their pants off.

The output shaft seal on the transfer doesn't require a socket to remove or get to. As Howard mentioned, once the yoke is removed (just a few common bolts), the seal is removed by prying and a new installed with a seal seater or just a little tapping. They should have all the tools necessary for that kind of an easy job.

7. BradE.

BradE. Active Member

City, State:
      Cincinnati, OH
      1997 XLT 4x4
      I agree, something is really strange about this. I would be very skeptical.

If they truly have never done this before (which I really doubt since they are a Ford dealer) you are likey to get a half assed repair.

8. oso_polar

oso_polar Active Member

City, State:
      Caracas, Venezuela
      '99 Explorer Sport
      I'm no pretty sure about this but I think that first gen explorers has a diferent T-case, and there is no joke at the front shaft on new gen X's, there is a CV joint or something, I don't know the name in english, sorry, but I think is diferent...

Once I ask at the dealer and a mechanic told me that he will have to take down the hole Transfer case and open it just to take out that CV joint to change the seal, If this is not true, please let me know and I will do the work myself, I already take down the front drive shaft to see if I could get there but I didn't see any bolts on it...

9. dogfriend

dogfriend Human-Animal Hybrid

City, State:
      Carmichael, CA
      '97 Sport 4x4
      Yes, there is a CV joint on the front driveshaft near the T-case. Also, I think there are some special tools recommended for doing this job. It still seems suspicious that the dealer has never done one before....Maybe the tech they assigned to your truck has never done one before????

10. PekingMan

PekingMan Active Member

City, State:
      Tempe, Arizona
      1993 XLT 4x4
      OK, it is true that the 95 has a CV joint that might require a special (checked the Haynes manual), however, I don't buy the dealer having never done it before or not having the tool. When you go back to the dealer, check the color of his eyes, are they brown?

I never take my car to the dealer unless I absolutetly have to. The value of having a shop that you can go to with complete trust is unbelievable.

11. topo4u2

topo4u2 Active Member

City, State:
      Ontario Canada
      1995 XLT
      Thanks for the great replies, when I get her back tomorrow I will look underneath and check her out. If I remember corrrectly when I first called the tranny shop they said the transfer case had to come out to do the seal and the Ford dealer said the case had to be split, but like I said as soon as I can I will take a look and let you all know what they did.