Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina Foothills
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
I have a 98 explorer 4.0 A/t,when in drive or R,the T case
makes a grinding noise and does not put any power to the driveshafts
the noise goes away in P&N,I drained the T case fluid and strained it
and found several white plastic pieces(small)
does anyone have any idea what the plastic parts might be?
and also where I can find a diagram of a Borg Warner 1354?
the # on the tag on the Transfer case is M1471 4405-11
157639 XL24-AA
Any help would be greatly appreciated,Thanks
Adam

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure it has a borg warner 1354? A 1998 Explorer should have a borg warner 4405, unless someone has switched it over to a 1354. The white plastic pieces are probably the wear pads on the shifting fork(s). This has probably created enough clearance that the high/low shifting collar is in the neutral position and can not engage the transfer case but is getting close enough to grind the gears. Also have you checked the the electric shift motor to make sure it is working? I can probably get you a diagram for a borg warner 4405, the 1354 I am unsure if I have that one. I have personally been through my 4405(known for problems) but not my 1354. Zems

the shift motor sounds like it is working , the problem first happened while
cruising at 70 mph w/cruise on.
i belive it ts a 1354, how can I tell for sure? the tag # is
m1471 4405-11
157639 XL24AA

It's not a BW1354, It's a BW4405 as Zems suggested. The BW1354's didn't have the 4 auto setting. You weren't in 4x4 at 70 were you?

The switch on the dash was on the Auto setting

Were you in Auto at 70?

I drive in 4x4 high at 70 all the time :), well when its snowy. Never had a problem??
The BW 1354 does not seem to care......

OK I got the T case out,(eaiser than I expected)and it IS a B/W 4405
when I looked into the oil fill hole I found a couple of pieces of metal
they look like an arm or lever and a white piece of plastic about 3/4"
long and "U" shaped when looking at it from the end,this is enough
evidence for me to start looking into another case or possibly rebuild
this one, any ideas where to get a rebuild kit and or manual?
I appreciate everyones input.
thanks,
Adam

From the tag it is definitely the 4405. They are easy to remove and not too bad to rebuild yourself. I have never found a true rebuild manual for them only parts diagrams. I will see what I have and e-mail it to you. Give me a couple of days to do that. Just out of curiousity, were you getting a grinding or whiring sound on deceleration and losing engine braking before this went out. This is a common sign that something is wrong with the transfer case as was the case with mine. Here is a link http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80983&page=1&pp=20 to a post I made about my problems. How I fixed my transfer case is on the bottom of the second page. All the parts I used were aftermarket and it has 50000 miles on it and still going strong. I think there is a good aftermarket rebuilt transfer case for around $1500, I just can't remember who sells it off hand.
Zems

Unfortunately I was'nt driving it when it happened,My wife was
she said the noise started and quickly went away,then came back @a
mile later,when she pulled over it made a grinding sound in all gears
but not in P or N and it stopped moving,and it rolls free in park.
(this all happened 350 miles from home)

when you find out how you fixed it yet me know.... same exact prob im in the process of straping a 99 t-case up hoping it will work...

I replaced it with another T case, when I got the old one out,I fished out broken pieces of a shift fork, changing T cases was not hard at all,
good luck with yours

Back