Transfer case problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case problems

Trent Younger

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 00 eddie baurrer
I have a eddie baurer 00 5.0 AWD. My transfer cases chain is stretch. Cases whines. The case is leaking. Fluid was not changed when I bought. The mileage it was changed was 100 thousand at ford dealer. He said it was in bad shape. He said to see how it does. It isn't doing much better. My explorer has 120 thousand on it now. Should I rebuilt or change it out for a new one. If so where is the best built and for good price. I changed transmission fluid, front axle fluid, rear axle fluid and raidator fluid at 100 thousand. Can you change transfer case buy jacking up the left side, or what is the best way to change it. I have replaced front and back drive shaft because of vibration. All wheels are balanced. The transfer case also clunks, when putting it in reverse after having it in drive. the truck vibrates at 75mph. I thik it is the trasfer case.

Thanks, Trent Younger.

Welcome and that sux bout ur transfer case.

Oh sorry I'm not sam (stick around the forum, you'll get it).

Where is the transfer case leaking? How do you know the chain is stretched?

There is a rebuild thread on here if you are handy.

If you have a mild lift (2") you can easily swap the t-case as it sits. If not probably best to put the front or rear tires on ramps.

Welcome to the site. I'm not sure how much a rebuild is, but I would look for a scrap yard unit with lower miles. I definitely wouldn't buy one from a dealer. Swapping in a case isn't a huge job.

Back