Transfer case questions... (my head is spinning) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case questions... (my head is spinning)

Doug

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sykesville, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
It looks like ive blown up yet another t-case. I did in the one on my old truck by filling it with water. The one in my current truck has either given it up or is about to. When its locked into 4wd itll make a loud popping noise. On my old truck im sure it was the chain slipping since when it happened the truck wouldnt move. Now when it makes the noise the truck still goes but its definantly bad. I dont suppose its possible something in the front axle is slipping? i can feel it through the floor. Ive been thinking of swapping out my electric one for a manual t-case from a ranger. Im guessing if i get a manual t-case from like a 96 or 97 ill need the extension housing from the transmission as well. Is that all thats too it other than cutting a hole in the floor for the shifter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's an extension housing? It should bolt right up.

extension housing on the transmission. if you look at it on a truck equiped with a manual t-case the linkage is mounted on there. Ive got a 5spd manual transmission so it might be different for me.

Some info needed please

I have a 92 explorer auto 4wd. When I put into gear I would hear a clunk noise. I was driving down a highway on ramp and let off on the gas and then gave it gas and I heard a thump like someting snapped and I lost drive. I get no response when I put it in any gear. Does this sound like tranny or transfer case. If transfer case how hard is it to fix?

Thanks
Lee

Transmission! Sorry..

An extension housing is on all of ours. If you have ever dropped your transmission then you are looking in the extension housing. It covers the output shaft in the rear. Doug, no matter what tcase you use, you have to have an extension housing, any transmission in our explorer will have an extension housing, except for 2wd i believe.

You sure are hard on some tcases :hammer:

Happy trails!!

I know my truck has an extension housing on the transmission i just wasnt sure if the extension housing was the same for trucks equiped with either a manual or automatic t-case. but they both have the same one. Im gonna be picking up my manual t-case this friday. :D

Back