1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Transfer case removal??

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Autimous, December 25, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Autimous

Autimous New Member

City, State:
      San Jose, CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '97 Eddie Bauer
      Hi,

I found this site whilst trying to work out why my X wouldn't start, and have since found myself coming back here just to learn. This place is amazing.

Now Iv'e buttered you all up, how easy is it to remove a transfer case for someone who is not overly confident doing things for the first time.

I reckon from what I've read that I need to clean the governor in the tail shaft. So can someone give me an 'idiots guide' from the beginning. As I say I'm not overly confident and don't have the cash to rectify any problems that I might cause by negligence.

Thanking you in advance, and merry Christmas......... :confused:

It's the 4x4 by the way

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Vozar

Vozar Active Member

City, State:
      Murfreesboro,Tennessee
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      94,98 & 03 explorer
      Its not that hard to remove the t-case, Lets see........

First Disconnect the f and r driveshafts

Drain the t-case(always helps)

THen loosen the 5 or 6 bolts(not sure on exact count) around the t-case put them somewhere where u wont loose them

Disconnect the electronects for the shift motor and all that junk.

Wiggle it out little by little and she shall come out, on mine it took a little while, and have someone helping you, i dropped the t-case on my hand when i did it and it wasnt so pretty. U can pry something in between the t-case and t-mission to break the seal.

You might get a little messy, there was a little fluid from the tranny leaking out when i did mine

Not that big of a task, should take u a hour or two.

Good Luck :chug:

Matt