• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case removal

Makahveli

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport and AMG 300CE
I'm having problems removing my transfer case, its all unbolted and there is little play when I'm playing with the jack and pry bar. It just won't slide off. I tryed using a torch but it didn't do much. I've done all what the book says like remove driveline and all connector, its already been drained and skid plate removed. maybe the gasket is just a strong SOAB. I'm in the middle of trying to replace my clutch and now I'm stuck on this. Any methods to get it off?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah It can be really hard to get off sometimes the splines get hung up. be careful prying you dont want to damage the mating surfaces. Make sure you have all the bolts out. One of the times I took my t-case off I actually got under the transmission and kicked it off though I suppose a rubber or brass mallet would work better. :p Also as as you're taking it off push up on it a little bit it'll take the pressure off the input shaft.

only way I see my self getting the clearance to kick it off is by moving the jack out the way

I've used a come-a-long hooked to the tcase and something toward the rear like a hitch or rear axle...cranked it right off with the jack still under it taking some pressure away. They cost somewhere around 30 bucks at Lowe's and can also come in handy while offroading also.

Arnie897 said:
I've used a come-a-long hooked to the tcase and something toward the rear like a hitch or rear axle...cranked it right off with the jack still under it taking some pressure away. They cost somewhere around 30 bucks at Lowe's and can also come in handy while offroading also.

Be careful with one of those 30 dollar come alongs. if you ever use it for anything serious it'll break on you. A friend and I slid down a trail while wheeling and we had to pull ourselves back up it. I had one of those come-a-longs and it broke after about 2 hours. Fortunantly I have a 60" highlift and that got my buddies truck and my truck back up the hill and home safely.

I've run into that problem several times with trannies and t-cases and once with a VW dual port engine,, what I normally end up doing is to take a tire that's off the rim, place it under the t-case or tranny, and tie a rope around the part, then give a few quick yanks and the part falls on to the tire, on a couple I've had to have an extra rope and a friend help tug.

merc.

ok to update I found that the last time it was worked on the person left a broken stud in it about 3/4 of an inch. I had to use a mirror to see this. Now I'm having some difficulty getting a drill in at a good angle. Now I'm left asking how well do those bendable extensions really work for drills?

not well. DONT use them with power drills. I used one to get my tstat housing off, and thats how i sheared off that bolt. they work great for untightening, but to tighten, it is reallt hard to get the bolt straight - its very easy to cross-thread.

I'll just keep at it then

i had a similiar problem with my truck. I had a a bolt break off in the t-case and no matter what I tried i couldnt get it out and ended up breaking it off even more. I took it to a machine shop and they used a torch to heat up the t-case and get the bolt out. See if you can get your hands on a torch and try one of those drill bits designed to remove broken bolts, may just do it for you. good luck

Back