• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case Shuttering

Sallad420

Reaction score
City, State
Kelowna, BC Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XL 4WD
Hi All, I haven't posted in a while (I've bought an '87 Audi 4ks and have been "tinkering" with it lately) but I'm having problems with my '96 Explorer. When I shift it into Auto 4WD it'll work fine, until the fronts try to engage. We had a good dump of snow the other night and while trying to get a friends driveway, I had to put it in Auto 4WD and it made ha horrible shuttering/klunking noise. My friend said the front were not spinning. And I was stuck, with only the rears spinning. :(

I switched from 4WD LOW to 2WD and back to Auto 4WD a few times and this seemed to get one front tire to spin, but just for a few secs, then only the rears would spin. The dash lkights do not flash and it does the same thing if I'm in 4WD LOW.

So it seems like the transfer case is engaging intermittently (sp?) I was told to check with Ford on a PCM updaste and some kind of clutch pack recall/fix. Since I'm 5 hrs away from home, I can't phone my dealership.

Anyone know of this issue, I tried searching but didn't really find much. I do have 3rd Party warranty, so I'm thinking of just getting the transfer case overhauled. I'd just like to know if this is a common problem or what?

Thanks! :)
(Seasons Greetings) :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do an oil change on the T-case and see if that fixes anything. They tend to get persnickity about fresh oil. They use Dextron III.

I'm about to try synthetic Dextron III. I'll post its effectiveness.

Oh - and disconnecting the battery for about 15 min - then reconnecting to reboot the computer will also sometimes help.

Also check the vacuum disconnect line to your front differential. Make sure it is still connected and is not cracked/leaking.

Thanks guys, so what you are saying, if I ubderstand correctly, is that the transfer case MAY be ok. Does the vaccum line control the Limited Slip clutches or something? Could that be the shuttering noise? (The LS system is trying to engage, but can't?)

Thanks again.

I just got back so I'll take a look tomorrow at the front end. Thanks.

The vacuum controls the passenger side CV shaft. There is a coupling that slides back and forth to connect the CV shaft with the internal axle shaft. Since you mentioned that one of the front wheels spun, I'm going to assume that your t-case is working but the vacuum disconnect may not be.

The stuttering could also be the shift motor trying to engage the t-case. You might try tapping the motor with a hammer to see if it will fully engage.

Hope this helps - Dave.

Back