Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Transfer case: tiny amount of play

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by hansvdweerd, August 8, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. hansvdweerd

hansvdweerd Member

City, State:
      Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '98 XLT (LPG conversion)
      Hello all,

I have a question about my transfer case.

Recently I had been experiencing some vibrations when driving at speeds above 55 mph and below 65 mph. Some time ago I had the same problem. It turned out to be loose bolts of one of the rear u-joints... Bolts tightened, problem fixed.

So this time, my mechanic first looked at the u-joints. They were nice and tight. He did notice however a very tiny amount of play, not noticable by eye) in the drive shaft that connects the rear wheels to the transfer case. It can be heard when applying upward force to the drive shaft just next to the transfercase.

He and I are in doubt wether or not this is something that needs to be adressed or if this is something that is normal? I have a 5R55E transmission and all wheel drive.

The recent vibrations could be traced back to my front tyre being out of balance, by the way.

Thank you in advance!

Greetings,

Hans

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.