• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case

Ronjm

Reaction score
City, State
Sydney NEW SOUTH WALES
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer XLT 1997 4L SOHC
Just wondering what transfer case is interchangeable with my 97 Explorer V6 SOHC.Automatic

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For some reason I am thinking that you need one from a '97, because IIRC in 1998 the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) was moved to the rear axle. Pre '97 might work, but you would need to check the front output flange for compatibility.

I believe 1995 thru 1997 had the same transfer case.

Okay you have a control trac t case BW4404 "torque on demand"

In 95-97 they had a old school CV type yoke at the t case and the VSS is in the tail housing
In 98 they went to the rubber boot style joint at the t case and no more VSS in the tail housing, this keeps the 98-01 cases from working in your 97

So if you want a bolt in replacement you need a 95-97 control trac transfer case from a 4.0L Explorer or Mountaineer
You can also take your 97 t case apart and fix it, I often use parts from the 98-01 t cases to fix the 95-97 style because you must keep the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) for your truck to be happy

Now if you are interested in a control trac delete you can bolt in a manual shift 1354 t case from a 4.0L Ranger/Explorer, you can use 1991-1997, you will get some flashing 4x4 lights but there are ways around this
You can also convert to an electric shift NON control trac 1354 t case, but it requires a little more work, some parts and some simple wiring.

Hi well the tag on it says 4405 and isn't the torque on demand for AWD. Mine is 4WD

Is a torque on demand an AWD case?

Do you have 4auto/4high/4low, or 2wd/4 auto/4low as switch options? If so, you surely have a torque on demand style (Control Trac) transfer case.

Torque on demand describes the Auto operation. The fronts freewheel until slippage is detected between the front and rear axles. In high, and low it simply locks this clutch.

Thanks I was under the impression that torque on command was AWD . My bad. I have been looking at one with part numbers 4405000015 YAA Torque on Demand which I am assuming is a BW4405. Will this fit my 97 and yes I do have 4auto/4high/4low swiches. Thanks for the help guys.

No worries. We all learn somehow. ;). I would assume it’s 4405 as well. As noted by 410fortune you’ll need to verify it has the VSS built into the t case. If so, it should work.

I just rebuilt my transfer case a year ago. Parts are easy to get and with the proper diagram was easy to rebuild. Might be another option to replacing the transfer case. At least you know it fits.

Funny you should say that I was thinking the same thing I watched one being rebuilt on YouTube looks simple enough.

Yes 4405 dang!
I'm dyslexic so I get things backwards from time to time
Rebuild kit is avail at rockauto last I checked
If you do replace your current t case there is one rule:
Do not get rid of any parts until the swap is over!
Too many times I have seen people with 95-97 style t cases trade them in for the core charge, get home to do the job, and find out they need parts from their original bits to finish the job.
So keep yours around or just fix the one you have is very good advice. T case is a pretty simple device with some simple tools

Funny you should say that I was thinking the same thing I watched one being rebuilt on YouTube looks simple enough.
Yes it is quite simple, but if you need it to be reliable there are a couple important upgrades available: Sonnax shift fork roller upgrade, and also have bushings machined into the case halves at the shift rail bores.

Thanks Guys I think I will try and do myself. Does anyone have a breakdown of T/C so I know what parts to get when needed.

Oh yeh I forgot to mention I'm in Australia so parts don't come easy over hear.

Just wondering if I could split the case still on the vehicle it that possible because I will be working alone it would save me the heavy work. thanks for that thread it's perfect.

I would kinda doubt it. The case isn’t heavy, and I’d only held on with 6 bolts. To rebuild it right, it’d be far better to drop it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No worries I'll give it a go on the weekend cheers

Back