• Register Today It's free!

transfercase/vss

kelv

Reaction score
City, State
shropshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer 4.0
sorry if this a repeat but here goes,so mt transfercase blew,no problem I got 2 spares BUT both are diferent to the blown one,the nogood one has the vss in it the 2 spares do not,later model trucks have vss in rear diff,yes?

my question, is there a way of getting my speedo to work now I have a transfercase without the vss

ant help would be great and thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same problem, I asked here and on http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=109, and never got a reply, I hope you have better luck.

It looks like you can change over the part of the housing that holds the VSS but I don't know how easily the bit on the output shaft comes off.
The nut that holds the output flange on is really on there so if you do it loosen the nut with the biggest breaker bar you can find with it still fitted up.

If you drive without the VSS you'll find that apart from the speedo not working the cruise control won't work either, the torque converter lock up won't lock up and the gears won't shift right.

The gearshift problem can be overcome by using the manual shifter.

I read about a guy on this forum who blew his engine by revving it too much because of this but that doesn't have to happen if you use the shifter.

Flash is right, just change out the parts and it will work fine. It's pretty easy to do just stay organized and don't be intimidated. An impact wrench will bring the big nut right off.

Flash is right, just change out the parts and it will work fine. It's pretty easy to do just stay organized and don't be intimidated. An impact wrench will bring the big nut right off.

The part on the output shaft that the VSS reads comes off easy too?
And goes onto the 'new' transfer case output shaft? There's a space for it?

My impact wrench wouldn't shift that nut, not even close.

Thanks a lot fella's, will start the transfer case strip down tomorrow, it was my first thought,swapping out the parts but oooooh that big nut lol

Grab yourself a plumbers torch and put some heat on that nut , around here they cost about $5 at ace hardware

OK so, strip down done, parts swap over OK,a bucket full of propane got the big nut off ,tomorrow - clean up, reseal and fit to truck,easy job in the end

Thanks boys

OK so, strip down done, parts swap over OK,a bucket full of propane got the big nut off ,tomorrow - clean up, reseal and fit to truck,easy job in the end

Thanks boys

What part did you need to take off the output shaft of the donor transfer case and did it come off/go on easily?

Back