TRANSMISION 4r70w awd swap Aode 2wd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TRANSMISION 4r70w awd swap Aode 2wd

tsnoodles

Reaction score
City, State
ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer xlt
Can I swap my 96 Explorer 4 R 70 w all-wheel drive transmission 4 99 Mountaineer aode 2 wheel drive transmission? Do I have to change the PCM or is it just a wiring issue and what about the DTRS. I shortened the drive shaft and I'm using the original transfer case am I doing this correctly?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not familiar with that Mountaineer transmission you're looking to swap in, sounds like it's from a V6? Not sure that those are interchangeable but I've never tried.

If you're just after getting 2wd instead of AWD have you considered doing the BW4406 swap? You keep the 4r70w (which is a pretty good transmission) and swap in a transfer case from an F150.

Lots of people on the forum have done that; I just did my swap last summer.

I have a 96 explorer xlt awd. Has v8 in it and a 4R70W tranny. I pulled the tranny and the only one available to me was a 99 mountaineer 2wd AODE which also has a V8. It bolted up fine. And shortened the shaft and bolted my ttansfer case back in.
From what I read its the same tranny just a wiring issue with the nuetral safety switch. I m using the harness from the mountaineer. All the connectors fit except EEC-V pcm. I refered to another post which showed which wires to splice and lengthen the connecter and replaced the connecter.
When I started the truck it didnt go forward when I put it in drive. None of the gears engaged.
Upon further reading I got conflicting information. Some say the Tranny I used is not interchangeable. Others say I have to use the PCM and the drive shaft of the mountaineer and lose my transfer case. Then theres post that say I just have to flash the PCM.
So before I pull this tranny and start all over, which I cant afford to do at the moment, I'd just like someone to clarify and tell me if this is doable. Thanks I really appreciate any and all help.

You need a VSS sensor and your 99 trans doesn't have it. The white valve body plug is pinned and wired different also. I would try to add the VSS sensor to the 99 trans (use 96/97 tail shaft) and use the 96 harness with the 99 pigtail spliced in for the white plug. Neutral safety switch should be the same.

Hi. Thanks for the help. Could you elaborate more on the spliced pigtail. You wouldnt happen to have a wiring diagram? This is my first time doing this so I really do appreciate you taking the time. Thanks so much, Mary

I reread your initial post and I need you to clarify. Has the 2wd transmission been converted to 4x4 to bolt the transfer case back on and make it AWD or are you swapping the truck to 2wd?

Im using the 2wd tranny out of the mountaineer and the transfer case that was in my explorer. I wanted to keep awd. The transfer case bolted up. I just cut the shaft on the transmission. I was told this would work. Now Im having some doubts. Do I have to convert to 2wd in order to get up and running or can I keep awd?

I have definitely never seen anyone cut the 2wd output shaft to add on the transfer case but if it's on there then ok....

You need to use the 96 trans wiring and cut the white plug off the 99 harness and put it on the 96 harness. The vss is in the transfer case and is hooked up via the 96 harness.

All I have left is to plug it in. I will let you know how it goes. I am off to work though so it wont be till tonite. Thanks. :)

Cutting the output shaft has to be a new thing for me, considering I see V8 AWD trans around here go for $100 any day you want one, it's sorta rare to hear of things like that.

I paid 184. That was at pick n pull in Los Angeles. $234. If I had wanted a warranty. It was the weekend and when i got it home they were closed. The drive shaft was to long and I didnt have the money for it anyway, so..... No one said it "couldnt" work if the shaft was cut. I cut it and the transfer case bolted right up. Im a single mom and budgeting my money is everything. Besides, it will be fun if it does work. Boomin, thanks for the help. If I run into anymore problems (which Im sure I will) I will be sure to let you know. I appreciate the help.

Back