Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart

My truck still shifts hard into 3rd, and the OD light is blinking. It gave me a 2nd gear incorrect ratio. It what order, and what should I start checking? The band adjustment helped a tiny bit. Any info would be great

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay so I am under my 1995 Explorer doing the band adjustments because 1. It will not shift out of 1st until you let off the gas and 2. because it had codes 646 and 648. 1st thing I want to say is that I just bought this and when I crawled under it, one of the 2 adjustable band hold-down nuts was halfway backed off. I tightened that nut and now, most of the time, it will actually shift out of 1st into 2nd normally (so that tells me I am on the right path). I have already adjusted the OD one (closest to the bellhousing) and saw a bright orange sticker on the trans pan that says:

U.S. and Canada Dealers Only
1995 4R44E/4R55E
Exchange Program
DO NOT SERVICE
See TSB #94-25
Please Call 1 800 888-5199
Void After December 22, 1995

My question is does change my strategy any as to tightening the bolts to 120 in/lbs, backing the front one out 2 turns and backing the rear one out 2.5 turns?

Thanks

Guess my above question was jumping the gun. The OD band adjusted quite well. I took a chance and started on the intermediate one and the bolt keeps screwing in almost till the end is inside the pan without even a hint at getting tight. I will scour this thread because I know I read where this happened to someone else and there was an answer given. Would still like to know what the bright orange warning label on the pan is all about (from you Ford guys).

Thanks

Guess my next question would be should I be able to see why the band adjusting bolt wont tighten by removing the pan?

Dropped the pan and only see that piece that the adjuster screws in to. What is involved to get that piece back around the band to make the adjustment?

By the way, I bought it this way. I didn't back the adjuster out any (I was tightening to 120 in/lbs)

You have to remove the valve body to get into the narrow channel where the apply strut meets the band. Use a long needle nose plier or locking forceps on this apply strut to carefully put it back into place. Follow the step by step procedure on page one of this thread.

Stupid question but, are both bands ALWAYS adjusted to the same specs, like 2 full turns back? Or can they be different?

I adjusted the bands in my 94 as posted in the first few postings and changed the fluid and filter Saturday. Glad to say that I think this will help prolong the life of my trans. It still has some issues but nothing like it was. Thanks for the good write up (with pictures) helped alot.

Stupid question but, are both bands ALWAYS adjusted to the same specs, like 2 full turns back? Or can they be different?
It's not a stupid question. Sometimes they are the same adjustment, but not always. The first page of this thread explains the specs for each year.

I adjusted the bands in my 94 as posted in the first few postings and changed the fluid and filter Saturday. I'm glad to say that I think this will help prolong the life of my transmission. It still has some issues but nothing like it was. Thanks for the good write up (with pictures) helped alot.
It's always good to hear how information on this site helped somebody. :salute:

Got the valve body off and sure enough the other side piece that holds the band is just dangling by the pin that holds it in. So, what I did was push the band around enough to get the piece up to it and push that piece up with a screwdriver to hold it in place. Now what is weird is I could have sworn I saw a small metal piece that looked like it had to small hook-looking-things laying in the top there near where the passenger side piece pushes on the band. After several searches for that piece via magnet, bent piece of metal, 90 degree pick, I could not locate it so went on with my attempt at adjusting. So with the passenger side firmly (or what I thought was firmly) against the ridge on the band, I got the drivers side part with the adjustment screw up against that side of the band and commenced torqueing to 120 in/lbs. 3 different times (every time) I would get close to the required torgue, the passenger side would pop out of the band leaving the metal piece dangling by the hold-down pin. Is there another piece that goes on to that piece that actually notches (for lack of a better word) into the band? Could this piece be the piece I "thought" I saw at first and now cannot find?

Thanks

Would anyone happen to have a picture of the intermediate band, specifically the ends where the adjustment rods/brackets attach? Much appreciated.

230-000023997-2.jpg

2003 Explorer Transmission 5R55S

See link to initial problem. The OD servo fixed the tranny. I replaced both the intermediate and OD servos. Have all gears.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298512

I did the band adjustment as described here. Both bands torqued to 10' lbs. Turned each screw back two turns. The OD band adjusted well, 2nd, 5th and overdrive all engage well, crisp, no flare. I have a mild flare 2nd to 3rd that wasn't there before. I adjusted the band couple times (to clarify, the 2-3 flare controlled by intermediate band, toward rear of tranny?) feels the same. I'm thinking about tightening adjustment screw in 1/4 turn increments until the flare disappears.

Questions: Will tightening the screw correct a flare if loose band is the issue? Is adjusting 1/4 turn ok to correct?

Thanks for the post. No on the torque wrench. I used a 5-50' lbs 3/8 torque wrench. My 8 pt sockets are 3/8". I have some concern about the bores. As best I could, I tried to "feel" them with the old servos feeling for lateral movement. They felt good, but I had no way to measure.

I did the band adjustment again, 10' lbs and 2 turns back. Test drove and felt better... maybe. I gave the adjustment bolt a 1/4 turn back (net 1-3/4 turn from 10' lbs) and felt good. What should I feel if the band were too tight? Almost wondering if the "flare" might be a too snug feel instead? Your thoughts? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ahhhh, its clicking now (brain cells banging around). The OD servo I found broken (it broke in a perfect circle where the steel pin attaches to the steel cup) likely broke due to a worn bore. The binding over time caused fatigue and eventual failure of the steel cup of the servo itself! That said, I put a bandaid on the tranny.

Assuming the above is correct (binding), is it better to run with the adjustment screw a 1/4 turn tighter? Will the 1/4 turn risk the band? Your thoughts? Metrix did his friends a year ago, wonder how its doing today??

Thanks for your help!

Back