Transmission clunk(metal on metal) when when first shifting from 1st into 2nd gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission clunk(metal on metal) when when first shifting from 1st into 2nd gear

Josef161

Reaction score
City, State
Kissimmee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005, Explorer xls
Hello,
I have a 2005 ford explorer 4.0. it has 195k miles on it and i assume the second transmission in it (but I don't really know, i just read that those 5r55s transmissions blow up at about 135k miles). I did 3 pan drops and fills and had to replace the solenoid pack.

My transmission makes a weird metal on metal noise right after it shifted from 1st into 2nd gear. The scrapping/clunking noise only occurs when the explorer shifts the first time (it always happens after the first shift. I tried to stop the engine for 10 seconds (after i drove for 10 miles) and then start explorer again -> after i i started it again the clunking was back.) So i wonder what's wrong with my transmission and if anyone could help me? I also read an answer here in another post that it could be an automatic ABS test (dues to cold temperature). it started to happen when it was getting colder outside (when i start the car and it is colder then 75°F). Oh and my obd2 reader can't find any codes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

was there any metal in the filter or pan?

Yes the magnet was full with very fine metal, no big junks, there was more then the magnet could handle and that metal was sitting on the bottom of the pan. The fluid was very dark brown (close to black but not black). The transmission made a clunk when i put it in D and R but since my last change where i used Valvoline maxlife atf it stopped (probably that fluid was able to clean the valve body). I bought the car with a bad solenoid pack. When i i chand it a saw that the connector was rusted (they probably switched transmissions and the mechanic didn't seal the connector right) so i don't know how long they were driving only in 3rd gear (was the only that was working).

What i i d overnight was to unplug the battery and see if resetting the transmission would help.

Oh and as mentioned, could it be the abs system? And the front wheel bearing need to be replaced but I don't know if it could be the wheel bearing?

Oh and do you think that the explorer could be still on it's first transmission? The former owner did not take good care of it and i often read that those 5r55s trannies tend to blow up at around 135k miles.

Ok i just reconnected the battery and drove the explorer. Unfortunately the noise is still there. I tested the vehicle again and put it into the second gear only and it still made that clunking/scrapping noise even when the car didn't shift. Noise always occurs at 2-2.500 rpm. So i guess that it has something to do with the power steering bc the noise is clearly comeing from under the car (in the front) does anyone have an idea what it could be (power steering pump, rack and pinion, worn wheel bearing are my guesses)? And the rack and pinion leak some fluid that's why i i added 1.5 bottles of lucas oil stop leak. The fan belt and belt densioner were just replaced (but the problem was present before).

with the 02 them trans does explode at around 130,000 to 150,000 miles and it from the bands,planetary gear and one way bearing... also dark brown fluid is a big no no on the 5r55 trans... if i was you i would do a complete rebuild or just get a brand new one... if you don't wanna go that route then just start all over...remove all fluid and filter and trash it. check filter for metal. the solenoid pack must come out and clean the screen. i recommend removing the valve body and have it rebuilt (watch out for the check balls). while the vb and solenoid pack is removed look at the bands and see if they are ok if really loose then do a band adjustment.. once all parts are cleaned and put back together make sure you go to ford and buy the atf from them and fill her up :) .... when done remove neg battery cable and put a jumper wire from the neg cable to the pos cable and wait about 3 mins then put the neg cable back on the neg post... start up car and let it idle for about 20 mins then test drive... oh before you clear the memory start the truck and make sure the tranny is full... grate videos online how to fill a ford trans... try that first....

oh i forgot, i have a rebuild manual if you need it you can pm me your email address and i will send it to you

Thanks for your answers. Could you explain to me what makes you sure that it is comming from the transmission? I only work on my car a little bit and I don't know a that much so maybe you can help me understand more...

Could you explain to me what makes you sure that it is comming from the transmission?

I dont, just going off your post... if you can and safe to do so, remove serpentin belt and go for a small test drive and see if your clunk is still there... but first how is your drive shaft? Clunks can come from alot of things, ball joints, inner/outer tie rods, hub bearings, u-joints and so on...

Yes that's a good idea bc i iave those troubles with the wheel bearing and rack and pinion. So I don't know about my driveshaft i only know that the pole to the rear is rusty. What and how should i check the driveshaft?
And yes i can remove the drivebelt and try to drive it for 2 miles. But i guess i start with the wheel hub and replace it (have the part at home, i already tried to change it but the 3 bolts were stuck so no i try to losen them with a hammer and heat). I will do it in that order 1. Check drive shaft 2. Drive without fan belt 3. Replace wheel bearing (has to be done anyways). It that doesn't work i could try to check the rear up und rev up to 2500 rpm and see if i will hear the noise (so the front tires wouldn't be moving and if the noise would still be existing then it must be the transmission or the driveshaft).

Tie rods and ball joints are fine (did the wickle test) but the rack moves about 1/8 inch in both directions (so 1/4 inch total). U joints should be fine too but i need to check it.

Ok i found put that the noise always occurs when i i accelerate and reach 12 mph. It only occurs when i hit 12 mph the first time after i i start the engine. It doesn't matter if the engine is warm or cold, the rpm's do not matter eighter. So in my conclusion it should neighther be the transmission nor the engine.
The front left wheel bearing needs to be replaced but I don't think that it causes that noise. Bc it only occurs after i start the engine i assume it has to do with something that needs electicity from the alternator or (more likley) is driven by the fan belt -> so maybe a weak power steering pump that causes too little pressure in the system?

Ok we are getting closer. First i drove the explorer without fan belt on and the noise was still there. Then i thought it might have something to do with the brakes, so i applied the brakes gently as i i accelerated -> the noise was gone. Did that 3 times successfully and just to make sure i tried it one more time without me applying the brakes and voila the noise was back again. So do you know what could cause that clunk? (Lose brake bad, rotor, maybe the bad wheel bearing gets stabulized if i i aly the brakes...)?

I think that i finally found out what it is. Bc it is always at 12 mph no mather what and only after i start the vehicle it is more then likely the ABS sensor.

Good detective skills. You're going to fix the problem sooner than later!

Thanks, i have the left front hub already at home (that one makes already noises when i make a sharp right) so the next few weeks (before it gets too hot here in florida).

Thank you for your help lynnboy021 :)

Back