Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Ford explorer XLT
Vehicle: 98 Ford explorer XLT, manual transmission

1. Shifter Stick is loose
2. Vibration throughout the vehicle
3. HIGH rpms when accelerating
4. Loss of power
So the back story. One day I was driving out of town. Coming across a ridiculously busy street for a small town I was waiting to make a left turn. Well the traffic didn't stop coming from either way for about 8 minutes. So I decided I'd take a right turn, and flip for a U-turn. I had to accelerate to get into the road, still being safe of course. (At this point I think may be the origin of the problems). Well I finally got on the highway and was headed out of town. About half way through I felt a vibration in the cabin, though it was subtle I still noticed it. At the same time the shifter stick became loose, and it wasn't until after I go into the next town that I noticed the rpms were getting high when accelerating.

Well since then I haven't driven the car, except when I really NEEDED too, and that was only a couple of times. The symptoms are the same, and haven't increased.

I need help diagnosing any possible causes. Please help.

High RPMs , loss of power and even the vibration could all be clutch related, the loose shifter I am not sure, maybe shifter bushings or loose bolts.

It would probably be best to remove the transmission and replace all that is worn and damaged along with the slave cylinder and rear main seal. I would also drain the transmission to see what and how much comes out, this can also give you a idea on what the inside may look like.

It's easy to refill the 2wd transmission when its out of the vehicle too just fine a way to seal up the rear and maybe the speedo.

Back