Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Transmission Cooler Line Disconnect / Radiator Question

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by gr8ful_dead, July 6, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. gr8ful_dead

gr8ful_dead New Member

City, State:
      Bethesda Maryland
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      My wifes 2006 Eddie Bauer had a leaky radiator, I bought a new one at NAPA... got the in place after some "fine tuning" , but... arggggg

1. The Transmission Cooler line connects are not "biting" with the new radiator - look like the same size but not getting a thread to catch? So I am left with a few options...
      A. Get a "disconnect tool" and try to attach the lines to the new fittings that came with the new radiator (not sure about this process, I have not worked with these fittings before).
      B. Change the lines from tranny to match the new fittings?
      C. No clue if I have an option 3?

Anyone had this experience?

Next issue - I let about a quart of tranny fluid hit the driveway - read some posts about topping it off - man, now I need a pump to get the fluid in - argggg

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. gr8ful_dead

gr8ful_dead New Member

City, State:
      Bethesda Maryland
      Fixed

$19 for the oil line disconnect tool - worked like a charm... now to get some tranny fluid added :)

4. puff-daddy

puff-daddy New Member

City, State:
      S.E. Michigan
      2006 Mercury Mountaineer
      free transmission disconnect tool

i had the cheap napa disconnect set and it was not working on the transmission cooling lines. i didn't want to buy the OTC 307-569 or the OTC 6593 to disconnect my trans cooling lines from the radiator so i made a plastic sleeve out of a washer fluid bottle handle. it needs to be thick enough to push in and flexible enough to form into a cylinder. worked perfectly!! had the lines out in 30 seconds. hope this helps someone else. :chug:

this video shows a guy making one for a dodge ram, i made mine about an inch longer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SazJrWsZxNM

5. Happster

Happster New Member

City, State:
      Dunstable, MA
      2006 Eddie Bauer Edition
      Do the fuel line disconnect tools work?