• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Cooler?

jmcexplore

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
I have a 3rd gen 2003 Ford Explorer with a 4.6 SOHC 16 valve V-8 engine. Does this vehicle come stock with a transmission cooler, and if not, do I really need one? It's a rare occasion I would ever have to tow more than 3,000 # with my truck. If i do need one, any reccomendations?

If you have the tow package, then yes you have one.

Easiest way to tell is what size receiver hitch you have. The top is a class two and the bottom a class three. If you have the top size, then you don't have a trans cooler and 3.55 gears. If you have the larger bottom size, you have the trans cooler and 3.73 gears

attachment.php

I would say even if you tow at all ever or live in a hot area or want to hold on to that tranny for a little longer.. the third gens dont have the greatest transmissions to begin with anything to keep them from overheating at all will help.. it doesnt take much to install an aftermarket trans cooler.. there are write ups here on how to do it with plenty of pics

I'm pretty sure that all of them came with trans coolers, tow package or not. If you lift up that plastic piece that covers the top of the radiator and look down in the space that's underneath, you'll see a trans cooler at the bottom...sandwiched between the A/C condensor and radiator.

Back