Transmission Downshift Clunks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Downshift Clunks

mbrando1994

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Ex XLT
4.0 V6
So this has been a problem that's been going on for about a week now, had it to a shop to get the transmission fluid and filter changed, which definitely improved shifting, but did not resolve these clunks. This is on an automatic 2003 explorer xlt with the 5 speed.

Here's what's happening:

It seems like there's always a hesitation with RPM's resting at about 1000 on acceleration. A shift eventually occurs and rpms then pickup. (all within a few seconds but there's still a slight hesitation that isn't normal even on a fast acceleration)

RPM's don't jump around during shifting but there is one or two noticeable clunks and almost lunging during downshifting I'm guessing? It's most noticeable after an acceleration after a dead stop such as at a stop light. Shifts up just fine, but as soon as I let off the gas pedal, RPM's drop and a series of maybe 2-3 clunks/thuds can be felt, and it almost feels like the truck is lifting up and going back down (like going over a series of bumps in the road). Another clunk can be felt when RPM's drop down to 1000 again through coasting to a stop. This second clunk is no where near as bad as the first though.

Occasionally on a hard brake (to avoid hitting a deer for example) it seems the drivetrain locks up and won't move, engine still runs and RPM's raise and eventually it lunges forward when it catches itself, how hard depends how hard I'm pressing the pedal down.

I fear my trans might be going but has anyone else experienced this? Are there any other causes other than transmission failure? As I said other than these problems shifting is fine.

Thanks in advance

Downshift clunks are usually the solenoid pack. But I'm not sure based on what you've wrote out.

okay thanks, it does seem than when disabling overdrive via the button on the gearshift lever, the problem almost goes completely away, it can still be felt at times but is about 90% better, could my o/d clutch or gear be going bad?

Back