• Register Today It's free!

transmission dumped. please help!

GhoztDogg

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon/Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer XLT
OK, so back story is I have a 92 explorer xlt. Was doing some mild offroading. Was in 4wheel drive if it matters.. My tranny starts slipping out of gear. Stupid me kept going till I found a turn around a mile or 2 down the dirt road, checked my transmission and it was empty. Dump all along the trail tried to get back to no avail more gas a gave her the faster I lost fluid till eventually it wouldn't move at all.
A week goes by and I get back to it with some help transfluid that's in it smells burnt. Dumped a gallon of fluid in it and still nothing. Tried a quart of bars leak trans fix and it took off like it was brand new again. Added another quart and a half to fill on the stick and its been fine ever since. No leaking or nothing. It didn't wanna shift into 2nd when cold for a week after buts that was it. Any ideas as to what happened?

If i was to bet on it, i would say it leaked out the front main seal, the BARS helped but it will return when the trans get hot or you have a large load on it(wheeling is one of the hardest things you can put a transmission through). and the lack of second gear is most likely the speed governor. my A4LD did the same thing, except i was pulling a trailer(truck and trailer was about 7500#)up Parleys Canyon in ut. and that is a 3000ft climb in about 10 miles.

It would be good to figure out where it leaked from. Maybe it just got super foamy and leaked out the vent tube until you didn't have enough to pump. Or, it could be a seal like the_don said.

Back