Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Transmission fluid level on 2003 Explorer?

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by JS_IN_KY, August 20, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. JS_IN_KY

JS_IN_KY New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1998, 2003 Explorers
    Yesterday I put my 2003 V6 Explorer on a lift to check the transmission fluid. I had it warmed up, checked transmission fluid temp on my scanner before removing the small inner plug with a T30 torx. This was the first time I've checked it since we recently bought this vehicle. When the plug was removed a flood of Mercon 5 came out so quickly that where was no way I could have even put the plug back in. It finally slowed to a slow drip and I reinstalled the plug. Is it possible someone could have grossly over filled it like that? I'm not sure how they would have put the plug back in with that much fluid in it unless they filled it with it cold and the engine off? I had to leave after that and haven't had time to drive the vehicle yet to see if it shifts normally.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. imp

imp Well-Known Member

59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
    @JS_IN_KY
    First, why were you checking the level in the first place? Symptoms of trouble?
    Second, fluid level is correct when the standpipe drips a bit out when plug removed. Of course, it could have been overfilled. Was it serviced recently? imp

4. 2Trux

2Trux Active Member

City, State:
    Albuquerque, NM
    2005 Limited V8 4X4
    Did you have the engine running when you checked it?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Drewmcg

Drewmcg Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Ann Arbor, MI
    2010 XLT 4WD
    2002 XLS 2WD
    What imp said. There's a Youtube video with FordTech Makeolo (sp). You had the car level on the lift, right?

I've found these transmissions to be tricky to get the level just right. Makeolo only recommends a 10-minute warmup (roughly), which seems to not be full temp. I forget what the Ford temp spec is, exactly, but can look it up if you cannot find it. I think I've read that you're supposed to shift it into each gear (with the foot on the brake all the while, of course), and then back in park with the engine on.

You did good, since Ford insists that overfilled transmissions break them. You'll know you got too much out if it's slow to engage (or with a slight clunk) from a stop sign/light.

• Useful Useful x 1