• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Fluid Low

Mazior R.

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Lim.
I have the 4.0 SOHC with the Automatic transmission and I check the fluid level on the dipstick and its about a quart or two low. I looked up on youtube on how to add transmission fluid to it and you have to go under the car and etc. Is it possible that I can put a funnel on the dip stick hole and pour it in through there? Thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it possible that I can put a funnel on the dip stick hole and pour it in through there?

That's hows its done. Did you make sure the engine was warm and running when you checked it?

That's hows its done. Did you make sure the engine was warm and running when you checked it?
Yeah it was, I checked it after I recharge the A/C because I was under the hood anyways and thanks for telling me. Another thing is after it shifts into gear, it jumps a little but most likely because of low fuid.

I think I found the video you were looking at. It looked like a newer one. I can't tell you for sure but a lot of cars went to the "service less" transmissions. My girls Honda doesn't have a dipstick, filter or anything. You just pop the transmission drain plug and refill it until it comes out the top hole like manual. I don't like it but I'm sure the video you were looking was for something like that. Could be wrong though. I'm no mechanic.

The 5R55E is the last 5R55 for Explorers that has the dipstick, yes? I know at least some 3rd gen Explorers with 5R55 don't have one.

No 5R55S or 5R55W have fill tubes, or dipsticks. imp

Back