1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

transmission fluid

Discussion in 'Bronco II' started by Doug 66, November 23, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. Doug 66

Doug 66 New Member

City, State:
    hudson ill.
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2002 explorer
    I was wondering what type of transmission fluid my sons 1990 bronco 2 takes . the guys at advanced auto said mercon v I didn't think that was around in 1990

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 4x4junkie

4x4junkie Well-Known Member

City, State:
    So.Calif.(San Fernando Valley)
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '94 Ranger, '90 Bronco II
    Assuming it has the Mitsubishi FM146 trans (which is most likely), it's specs call for 80W gear oil (GL-4).

You are correct, Mercon V didn't come about until around '95 or so if I recall right. My experience has been not to use it in anything that doesn't explicitly call for it even though Ford now wants everyone to believe it's fully backward-compatible with Mercon... Seems it's too slippery for the synchros in the M5OD manual, and causes hard shifting.

Mercon fluid is now called "Dex/Merc" or "Multi-Vehicle ATF" because of this. If you do happen to have the M5OD, this is what to look for (applies for '07 & older models w/M5OD).