• Register Today It's free!

Transmission fluid

naiku

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer Ltd V8
With the recent stumbling from our Explorer, I decided to check the transmission fluid to rule that out before buying new coil packs. With the engine hot (just below about halfway on the temperature gauge when I started checking) my transmission fluid reads about 1/8" below the hatch area on the dipstick.

How much fluid would likely get that to the correct level? Would a single bottle of Mercon SP be enough? This is for the V8 with the 6R60 transmission.

I assume if it is slightly low, that it would cause slipping in the transmission.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the recent stumbling from our Explorer, I decided to check the transmission fluid to rule that out before buying new coil packs. With the engine hot (just below about halfway on the temperature gauge when I started checking) my transmission fluid reads about 1/8" below the hatch area on the dipstick.

How much fluid would likely get that to the correct level? Would a single bottle of Mercon SP be enough? This is for the V8 with the 6R60 transmission.

I assume if it is slightly low, that it would cause slipping in the transmission.

Thanks.
I wish I could help gauge the missing capacity , but on a larger scale, when was your last change?

Last change was about 12k miles ago, just noticed it slipping recently and figured I would check the fluid. I suspect there is a small leak somewhere, the fluid is still nice and red and does not stink. I had been noticing a small amount of fluid on the garage floor and assumed engine oil, but am leaning towards transmission oil now.

Fresh transmission fluid on the floor is usually pretty obvious. I’d climb under and see what’s up.

If the fluid level is slightly below the hatch marks when hot, then you will probably only need to add a pint or so. Try adding about 6oz, then check level again. Best to "sneak-up" and not over fill.

Any cardboard lying around? When I did my radiator , I had a small leak by the cooling lines. If your pan was leaking for 12k miles, I'd imagine more loss but I could be off there.

Hot coolant does not mean the transmission is up to temperature. The 6R60 won't typically hit operating temperature simply idling in neutral. You need some way to measure the transmission fluid temperature to know it's in the correct temperature range for measurement.

Or, you could probably just drive it for 20 minutes.

Yes that should work, but a OBDII dongle and an app like torque can be had for $50 combined, and can tell you a lot more than just what temp you're transmission fluid is.

Yes that should work, but a OBDII dongle and an app like torque can be had for $50 combined, and can tell you a lot more than just what temp you're transmission fluid is.

I actually wondered whether using torque would be a more accurate way to go. I have it as well as a Bluetooth dongle so should be simple enough.

I am pretty certain it was hot when I checked it, not only was it idling until the temperature gauge was in the usual position, but it was also about 90F ambient temperature. What I think I will do is great a quart of fluid, get it up to temp using torque and then check + add if needed.

You will be surprised just how long it takes to reach a hot operating temp in the trans. Fluid does not circulate to the cooler until at least 175 to 180 F. The shop manual recommends that the trans fluid temp should be 190 F when checking fluid level.
As always, please be very careful of the hot exhaust. Wear long sleeves, long cuff gloves and/or wrap the nearby exhaust with a welding blanket, etc.

I actually wondered whether using torque would be a more accurate way to go. I have it as well as a Bluetooth dongle so should be simple enough.

I am pretty certain it was hot when I checked it, not only was it idling until the temperature gauge was in the usual position, but it was also about 90F ambient temperature. What I think I will do is great a quart of fluid, get it up to temp using torque and then check + add if needed.
Add the extra Ford PIDs then edit the Transmission Fluid Temperature OBD header from Auto to TCM. That way it will actually show you your transmission fluid temp and not just duplicate the coolant temperature.

Where can I get the PIDs? Searched and can only find ones for the Powerstroke trucks.

I use torque so the instructions I've been giving are only for torque.

Go to settings and select manage extra PIDs. Then in the upper left corner select the menu 3 dots. Select add predefined and select "Ford (Inc Power Stroke)"

Screenshot_20180621-171514.jpg

You are making sure to check the fluid level with the car on and running (and at correct temp and on a level surface)?

Yes, level in garage, running in park.

So, just went to try again. Got home from a short drive, trans temp reading 195f per the torque app. Went to remove dipstick and fluid poured out all over my arm and hand (thankfully had long sleeves and gloves on). Left it for a second, tried again and more fluid came out. So, either the first time I checked it was not up to temp and my low reading was wrong, entirely possible as I just let it idle, or the fluid is actually higher than it should be.

Could too much fluid cause it to slip? I am reluctant to open the fill hole again at the moment.

Weird, mine did that same thing when I checked my fluid last time. I wanted to check the level several months after having the fluid/filter changed by a mechanic and as soon as I cracked it open, hot trans fluid came pouring out...

Makes it somewhat difficult to check the kennel right! As if it being right by the hot exhaust is not about enough.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I mean if it’s too high that would change pressures possibly, whitch could change shifting habits and what not. It’s very possible that it is too high. I have the 5R55s and the shifting feeling does go through changes after 140/150 degrees. I presume because the fluid starts expanding and changes the pressure a bit.

Back