Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Wanted Transmission information.

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by 78Camaro, June 17, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 78Camaro

78Camaro New Member

City, State:
      Seeley Lake, Montana
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      91 Ford Explored
      I have a 91 Ford Explorer V6, 4.0, 4X4, 4d trans. My problem is the tranny. When I start out and car hasn't warmed up yet, It won't shift out of 1st when starting out in D or OD. I put it in 2nd, it will shift from 1st to 2nd. Once it has warmed up, I can put it in D and it will go through the gears fine. If I put it in D too soon and not warmed up, it will go back to 1st and won't shift out of it till it warms up. Changed trans fluid and filter, replaced transmission mount, no trans fluid in modulator valve. had 41in. of vac on port to trans at manifold under hood. The 41in was at start-up before it warmed up and driven. Modulator is adjustable, but haven't found info yet on how to adjust it. Could this be my problem? The tranny was rebuilt in 2000. Not sure if it was done right or not. Have found a few things that were repaired that were not done right and had to fix myself. Supposedly repairs were made by a reputable shop. What I have found, ex, thrust washers, lock nuts, proper setup of front differential were way wrong and have a hard time believing a reputable shop would turn out work like that. Previous owner said he had manual hubs put on to replace auto hubs? Said they were cheaper and he had to have one replaced anyway.
      Anyway, anybody have any idea'?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the transmissions section. It sounds like you have a sticky governor.