Transmission keeps kicking in overdrive? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission keeps kicking in overdrive?

98_Ranger

Reaction score
City, State
Ocala, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Ranger xlt 3.0L
I have a 1998 ranger with the 3.0L automatic and the transmission keeps kicking in over drive, i dont know whats wrong with it, how much would it cost to fix? and its slow shifting gears also.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the OD light flashing on and off? If so it doesn't mean that the trans is shifting in and out of OD. The computer flashes the OD light when there is a trans problem. You need to get the code pulled, just remember that not all OBD2 code readers can read manufacture pacific DTC trans codes. The code gives a clue to what is wrong.

Is the OD light flashing on and off? If so it doesn't mean that the trans is shifting in and out of OD. The computer flashes the OD light when there is a trans problem. You need to get the code pulled, just remember that not all OBD2 code readers can read manufacture pacific DTC trans codes. The code gives a clue to what is wrong.

thanks, but i need a new tranny anyways for the 4.6 im dropping in it :D my dad said i could drop a 4.6 in it today, i wanted a 5.0 but my dad said its to much for a 16 year old

There is a little more to it than just dropping in a 4.6. You will need the computer for the 4.6 and all the engine and trans wireing, along with a 4.6 trans.

There is a little more to it than just dropping in a 4.6. You will need the computer for the 4.6 and all the engine and trans wireing, along with a 4.6 trans.

I know, i just need to find every thing for under $600, im going to check the local junk yards for a wrecked mustang gt, mark viii, lincoln ls, crown vic, etc.....with a good motor/trans and all the computers and wiring

Good luck on finding everything for under 600.

Back