• Register Today It's free!

Transmission "learning" reset

blob19

Reaction score
City, State
Midwest
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Interceptor Utility
Does the PIU transmission "learn" the drivers' habits the same way that the regular Explorer does? I thought that it might not since the vehicle is likely to be driven by multiple officers and doesn't always have a "primary" driver.

If it does learn, is the reset procedure simply disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Automatic Transmission Adaptive Learning is no longer mentioned in the 2016 or 2017 Owner's Manuals.

Peter

The Automatic Transmission Adaptive Learning is no longer mentioned in the 2016 or 2017 Owner's Manuals.

Peter
Is there a benefit to starting fresh on the computer (delete old drivers data) ? Referencing my '14 gen 5, or any generation? Obviously a tune or onboard programer would make some of these changes for us.

Just some food for thought.

It may, but overtime the vehicle should adapt to current habits. From your Manual, 3rd print;

Automatic Transmission Adaptive Learning, page 212
Over time, the adaptive learning process will fully update transmission operation.
Additionally, whenever the battery is disconnected or a new battery
installed, the strategy must be relearned.

Because your vehicle’s engine is electronically controlled by a computer,
some control conditions are maintained by power from the battery. When
the battery is disconnected or a new battery is installed, the engine must
relearn its idle and fuel trim strategy for optimum driveability and
performance. To begin this process:
see page 333 Battery Relearn

Peter

It may, but overtime the vehicle should adapt to current habits. From your Manual, 3rd print;

Automatic Transmission Adaptive Learning, page 212
Over time, the adaptive learning process will fully update transmission operation.
Additionally, whenever the battery is disconnected or a new battery
installed, the strategy must be relearned.

Because your vehicle’s engine is electronically controlled by a computer,
some control conditions are maintained by power from the battery. When
the battery is disconnected or a new battery is installed, the engine must
relearn its idle and fuel trim strategy for optimum driveability and
performance. To begin this process:
see page 333 Battery Relearn

Peter

This is cool technology 👌. Thank you for the reference!

I noticed no difference after resetting mine

I've read some conflicting information on this site and others, so I'd like to make sure before I go do it.

2013 PIU

I have IDS 119.02 and latest Forscan extended and am versed in both more or less

The previous owner made Forscan modifications which has caused some driveability quirks. Odd cold start idle and odd slight hesitation when coasting. Unfortunately he did not make a backup. It was fine before he messed with it.

I would like to load my PCM as-built from Ford via IDS to make sure his mess-ups are gone. I already updated to latest PCM configuration from Ford IDS, and all other modules. I want to reset my PCM KAM, adaptive tables, transmission TCM KAM. I can do this all in IDS.

The question are:

1) Can I clear all three at the same time (PCM KAM, adapt tables, TCM KAM)?

If not, is there a sequence/best practice? [ie PCM as-built, clear PCM KAM, drive a bit, then clear tables and TCM KAM, drive a bit, etc]

2) Is there a specific relearn (drive cycle) procedure after clearing those three values in the computer (PCM KAM, tables, TCM KAM) or just idle for a bit then drive as normal?

I've read with the 6F55 tranny in my PIU, pretty sure that's the one, it's drive as usual VS the long Ford sequence of drive, stop, slow down, speed up, etc. But I want to make sure.

Thanks

From your Owner's Manual, page 142 of the 2nd printing.
Automatic Transmission Adaptive Learning
............. Over time, the adaptive learning process will fully update transmission operation. Additionally, whenever the battery is disconnected or a new battery installed, the strategy must be relearned.

I have never read anything regarding the "long Ford sequence".

Peter

Old article and not necessarily for THIS vehicle, but I've read variations of this for certain Ford transmissions. Wasn't sure if my transmission needed something along these lines: Ford trans relearn

Yes, I know what the manual says. That's for the general motorist. I'm looking for Ford tech service level information. You can't do the things I want to do by simply disconnecting the battery.

That info was taken from the 2013 PIU Manual. The article you linked was not for the Explorer and referenced a different transmission and was for select 2009-2010 vehicles so I don't know if a similar procedure exists for yours or not. I haven't seen any posts regarding that sort of "relearning". Of course, once the parameters have been changed using FORScan or IDS, then you're in a whole different situation. Good luck Rob.

BTW, an interesting find in the 2010 Expedition Manual. Unlike the Explorer, it has an Adaptive Transmission Shift Strategy which saves the last configured transmission settings if the battery is disconnected.

Peter

Yes I know, the articles are referencing completely different vehicles, but I'm used to older dumber Fords. My '13 is the newest I've ever had.

IDS is a completely different beast. I'm hoping a Ford tech can chime in and give some dealership level advice.

Back