1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Transmission Noise?

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by xTOM153x, June 16, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. xTOM153x

xTOM153x Active Member

City, State:
    West Islip Long Island
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2003 XLT
    I have a 2003 Ford Explorer 4.0L and I was towing my friends jet ski back from the shop to his house(about 600lbs). The trucks towing capacity is 3500lbs. After towing it about 10 miles I pull into my friends driveway and took the trailer off the back of my truck. As my truck was idling there was a loud distinct clacking/rattling noise coming from underneath the truck. It seems like the noise was coming from the front of the transmission. It stopped after about five minutes but I'm just wondering what this noise could be. Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. not8taxi

not8taxi Active Member

City, State:
    queens, ny
    02 XLT
    maybe torque convertor? do you hear it at all driving and then it stops? how many miles on your tranny?

4. gamecocks

gamecocks Active Member

City, State:
    Greenville, SC
    2002 Eddie Bauer
    i just started get something that sounds very similar, i just turned 109,000... :(