1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

Transmission/Not accelerating Issue

Discussion in 'Stock 2020 Ford Explorer & Aviator' started by Vanc, February 12, 2020 at 9:57 AM.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. Vanc

Vanc New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2020 Explorer ST
    I started my ST today, pulled out of my driveway and noticed when I stepped on the gas nothing happened (almost as if I was in N, which I wasn’t). Proceeded to keep driving a bit but still couldn’t go past 7mph with the same issue, when I would go a bit faster the transmission jerked hard. Issue persisted for a solid 10 minutes while I’m trying to drive back home in my neighborhood.
    Turned the truck off and back on and nothing worked. A little while later it somehow fixed itself. Going to the dealership in a few but has this happened to anyone?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
    It sounds a little like this thread; Turbo issues? The end result is that Ford is buying the vehicle back.
    Good luck. Please let us know what the dealer found, if anything. Thanks.

Peter

4. BlackDahlia

BlackDahlia New Member

2020 Explorer
    Hey! I just went through this issue.

drove fine until 1500 miles and than presto I’m on the side of the road getting towed.
    After 2 weeks in the shop, they reflashed the TCM and PCM and it’s been fine since.
    They did NOT do a buyback. Got it back last Friday so I’m still waiting. But today I noticed a weird shift issue again going from first to second or second to third. Can’t tell.
    There is a active recall out now for the PCM

5. cpainter3

cpainter3 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Troy MI
    2020 Explorer ST
    Had a similar experience today after 6,000 miles of trouble-free driving. Pulled out of the driveway to do errands. The throttle would not respond and then it would surge, but it never stalled. Meanwhile the transmission would not shift above 2nd. Since I could get up to about 40 in 2nd gear, I drove straight to the dealer. No codes or warnings in the display. Explained the symptoms to the service advisor who took it for a spin and - of course, it drove perfectly for him. Then we drove a bit with him in the passenger seat and again everything was fine.

With no warning readouts, I decided to take it back home (dealership is just a few miles away) and it was perfect on the drive home. It again ran fine later in the day. For now, will just be on alert and keep the trips local for a while.

6. Vanc

Vanc New Member

2020 Explorer ST
    So this sounds like what happened to me. When I took it to the dealership, they thought it was leaking transmission fluid as apparently that’s been a common issue. When they realized it was dry (I would of also noticed if my car was leaking fluid), they said they plugged it in and it gave them a transmission error code that was not displayed inside the truck. Got my car back a few hours later and hasn’t happened since so we will see.

• Like Like x 1
  7. cpainter3

cpainter3 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Troy MI
    2020 Explorer ST
    Good to know. I’ll post again if I have any further issues.