Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Transmission problems.

Discussion in 'UK Explorer Owners Forum' started by explorer1107, June 16, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. explorer1107

explorer1107 New Member

City, State:
      Bournemouth UK
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      99 4.0lt v6
      Hi Guys hope you can help, have a 99 explorer auto and the oil cooler in the rad went and mixed all the water with transmission fluid.
      Had the rad replaced and flushed but now having transmission problems, seem to be leaking transmission fluid when its hot and then I have problems selecting a gear, when i drive around town doesn't seem to be a problem but when it's hot it sprays out on to the down pipe and smokes like crazy.
      Went for a short drive yesterday and got stranded had to wait till it cooled to select gear, does anybody have any advice, please !!!
      thank you

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    4. PHaTGRoB

PHaTGRoB Active Member

City, State:
      Ruthin, North Wales, UK
      Green '99 North Face
      Welcome. Sounds like a blocked transmission cooler. I had this with an '89 Scorpio, but only when towing. The auxilliary cooler put in by the previous owner was plumbed in back to front and had a check valve stopping the flow. The first time it happened, the front of the caravan was stained red with fluid! You say the cooler has been flushed, suggesting that it is clear and free flowing. Was this the radiator of oil coller or both. Maybe there's a problem with the pipework or connectors causing insufficient or total loss of oil flow. GRoB.

5. rich uk

rich uk Active Member

City, State:
      surrey
      1998 sohc 150k Purple LPG
      Trans fluid level ok ? will dump out the top if theres too much in there
      ,as Grob says you might need to pop off a cooler pipe at the front (easy job ) to check flow is ok and look for water in the fluid

let half a litre out in a bottle and have a look

good luck

rich

6. explorer1107

explorer1107 New Member

City, State:
      Bournemouth UK
      99 4.0lt v6
      Transmission probs

Hi guys thanks for your replys, I hope I have found the problem, a leaky radiator, there isn't enough water to cool the transmission fluid, fixing leak and hope to post shortly