• Register Today It's free!

transmission question

explornj

Reaction score
City, State
now in Raleigh,nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 sport 4.0 sohc
I am working on a friends 97 truck has 230,000 on it and the trans is shot, looking for a replacement and some are saying with O/D sensor and with out. when i looked at the trans in the truck i found the sensor but nothing was plugged into it and it looks like it had been that way for a while, if that is the case does it matter what transmission i put back in the truck?

I am working on a friends 97 truck has 230,000 on it and the trans is shot, looking for a replacement and some are saying with O/D sensor and with out. when i looked at the trans in the truck i found the sensor but nothing was plugged into it and it looks like it had been that way for a while, if that is the case does it matter what transmission i put back in the truck?

I am guessing by "O/D Sensor", you mean the transmission speed sensor, which is used to detect speed of transmission output shaft, allowing the computer to detect malfunction of various internal components. If unplugged, a Trouble Code should be thrown, indicated by a flashing of the "OD OFF" icon in the instrument cluster. Doubtful that some were shipped with the sensor, and some without it, but anything is possible. So, it does not matter which of the two transmissions you use, if they can "live with" a flashing trouble code light. imp

That truck has probably had the ODS ( overdrive drum speed) sensor deleted as per Ford TSB. Check the harness the plug should be clipped off and the wires spiced. That is the sure sign the delete has been done, and you are green to run either unit.

thanks for the info it helps a lot

Back