Transmission Rebuilder error or road debris? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Rebuilder error or road debris?

psalms34n1

Reaction score
City, State
Suburbs of NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 5.0 V8
I had my transmission rebuilt 2 weeks ago and had been having downshift and 2-3 shift bangs. I took it back and he adjusted the MLP which "softened" to concern. Three days later I try to drive to work and my truck only went 75 feet. I heard a gurgling sound, and got out the truck only to find most of my transmission fluid in my driveway and in the street.

I had the truck towed back and he called me later informing me the transmission case was cracked causing the fluid to come out and he wants me to pay for a new case. Here is the picture he sent:

ymnF8X6GicpCcRV46
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=S2E5VDEyVDM1YTBhT2hxeExHOXVJVmJDcHRVZ3VB

AF1QipMtH4Cy4-lmdtJAqSW4m_XLkqw_kBFh7eFLMiwm

Did the rebuilder cause this or some road debris? I cant see how some road debris would do this.

Also, how do they get the server cover off and back on in this process?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks like a defect in the casing looks a pretty clean break from the casing

Thats just a weak or fatigued case due to rust buildup on the snap ring, its not his fault or yours. If he is willing to do the labor and wants you to buy the case I would think that would reasonable.

I agree. That is not some kind of fumble fingered hack job. The moves you have to do to rebuild that servo don't inflict force that moves in that direction. When you're rebuilding it, you push the other way. After the machine is up and running, internal forces push in the direction of the fail. That transmission case just got too old to survive normal operating conditions.:(

Manual Lever Position sensor

Not really able to adjust shift feel with that....

Back