Transmission Service on 96 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Service on 96 Explorer

lazergeek

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer
Greetings!
I reciently purchased a 96 Explorer XLT 4.0 2wd. It has 220,000 miles but is in good running condition. I wanted to see what the consensus is on whether to change the Transmission Fluid and Filter. I was thinking of a high milage transmission fluid but am hesitant because I dont want to cause it to fail by changing fluid.

I havent noticed any slippage and fluid does not smell burned.

Whats everyones thoughts?

Thanks

David

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would buy the best stock filter and fluid.

Thanks
Im worried about changing the fuild on the older trans causing failure. Some people say leave leave it alone till it fails.

Jut trying to avoid replaceing the Trans soon then I have to.

Service your transmission. Period.

You are not doing yourself any favors by not changing the fluid and filter.

here's the other side of the argument. with your particular transmission, with that kind of miles on it (especially if fluid changes/filters haven't been done regularly in the past) changing the fluid could hasten transmission failure. the reason being that if the clutches are worn there may be a lot of clutch material in the dirty fluid. if you put fresh fluid in it and flush out all the suspended clutch material, the trans may start to slip and fail within a week or two. the choice is yours. personally i wouldn't mess with it.

Back