1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Transmission Service Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by hexplorer, December 20, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. hexplorer

hexplorer New Member

City, State:
      Cumming,GA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '97 XLT
      Hey all,

I'm inheriting my wife's 97 XLT Explorer soon... So I thought I better start learning how to service and repair it etc. It has been great for 8 years!

All I've done is change the oil every 8K, completely redo the brake system and recently plugs (that was fun).

Anyhow, it struggles in the morning to pop into gear and make its progressions. I don't think any service has ever been performed on it. :D WHat would anyone recommend I do to service it?

Flush and ??

Thanks!
      hExp

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
      I would drop the tranny pan and change he filter. Then after adding the ATF back, I would do a complete flush and make the switch to synthetic ATF. It might be a wise move to add an external filter at this time too.

Good luck....

4. hexplorer

hexplorer New Member

City, State:
      Cumming,GA
      '97 XLT
      Sounds good. SHould be fun!

Thanks for the advice.

h

5. Opera House

Opera House Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Cincinnati, OH
      2014 Explorer 3.5L base
      It struggles??????????? A little fluid can only do so much. Assume this is a V6 and you have checked fluid levels. That transmission has a history of valve body gasket problems that come about from a couple of bolts becoming loose. One of these is on the low/reverse servo cover plate which is used in guess what two gears. If the fluid isn't too nasty, a little tightening might help on this and the valve body. These only takes a very light hand twist, about 8 ft-lb. Just something to check when you drop the pan. Almost everyone has found loose ones on the 5R55E.

6. old mechanic

old mechanic Well-Known Member

City, State:
      R.I.
      92 xlt
      If you have 80,000+ miles and never changed the trannie fluid, I would drop the pan, change the filter and replace the fluid lost when droping the pan. Do this a few times (every 3 months) until the fluid gets clear. I would not recommend a FULL fluid change because you may loosen up some grit and it may find its way to clog something. This happens pretty often when people never change their trannie oil then decide to change it at 80,000 + miles.