Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Transmission slipping and shifting harder

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by quiet4no1, March 29, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. quiet4no1

quiet4no1 New Member

City, State:
    Dekalb, IL
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    99 explorer sport 4.0L V6
    We just bought our 1999 Ford explorer Sport 4.0L V6 OHV. It has 154,7XX miles on it now. We got a tune up including: new sparkplugs, wires, fuel filter, and new air filter for $330. Soon after the truck starting shaking intensely so I went back to shop. The CEL read it was the ignition coils. Quoted me $145 for part plus labor. I went and bought part for $75 and put it in myself (watched tutorial on it). I have little experience with cars.

It ran great after all of this and was doing great. The other day, a week after tuneup, the transmission seemed to slip. Just from 1st to 2nd gear. I mean you could feel it wasn't smooth. Now it has began to do this from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. After it's beyond there it works fine. It's just when I'm getting through the gears that it slips, but causes no other issues once that has happened. We just bought and sold a 2002 accord because it had a horrible slippage of the tranny and hopefully we aren't having same issue again.

Has anyone had this issue? It's just not a smooth shift like it was when we got the truck, which concerns me. I have little experience working on cars at all. I am looking to changing a serpentine belt soon because it is worn and better safe then sorry. Don't know if that will help. Could they have put spark plugs in wrong? They did say originals were in there when we had them change them to new ones at 154k.

I'm at a loss of what the issue could be. Everyone else who has posted seems to have severe shifting issues, mine just seems to be slipping and no CEL is on. Let me know what you think. Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

We Support Our Troops!