Transmission Slipping - Updated 8/23/22 Back in the shop! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Slipping - Updated 8/23/22 Back in the shop!

SouthernExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
Sort of an update to the "Nagging Issues".

In the old thread, the truck did not want to go into reverse. It would wait until the gas peddle was tapped bringing the rpms up then it would hard-shift into reverse. Dealer couldn't duplicate the error even tho they changed parts previously to it so they told me to wait until it becomes more prevalent.

Now, when shifting from second to third, it feels like the clutch engages and then dumps without taking your foot of the gas. The last time it happened (not on video) I actually felt the gas peddle "fall out from under my foot" as it happened. Very odd. And now we can hear a whine from the transmission.

It goes into the dealer tomorrow who already has the two attached videos.

20180202_183120.mp4
20180202_194457.mp4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a scan tool that can live stream data? If so, you may want to watch your line pressures and see what they look like when the problems occur.

The harsh shift into reverse seems to affect a lot of 6F## ford transmissions and is typically a valve body/solenoid issue. Haven't experienced the other issue, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was a related issue. Transmission whine can be pump or gear related.

Good luck.

I have forscan but I lost the dang dongle...

I did post on their forum asking what I could monitor (and the addresses) on the transmission but didn't get any replies.

Does the car creep (like it moves from a stop without touching the gas)? When my transmission blew up I would have to give it gas to move at all in reverse (like you) and it also would not creep. Then a few miles later the entire car shook like a 9.0 earthquake and that was the end of my trans. Sounds like it could be an impeding failure of your trans.

No, it doesn't creep. When putting it in reverse, I take my foot off the brake it's hard to know if it's in gear or not and I don't know until I tap the gas.

When driving, it only drops out of gear, under moderate acceleration, after shifting into 2nd or 3rd.

Dealer called this morning and said, yes, there's a problem. But we won't be able to open it up until next week. Enjoy the 'courtesy car'. A Fusion. o_O

So I just watched the videos. To quote the late Peter Boyle as Frank on "Everybody Loves Raymond,"

Holy Crap.

Do keep us posted.

The dealer has had the car for over a week (10 days actually). Heard from them this morning that they should start working on it today. What emoticon covers both happiness and frustration at the same time?

Edit Friday 2/16:
Dealer called and said they can't get the bolts off of the lower control arms to drop the trans. If he can't get it soon, he'll have to cut 'em off so it's taking longer than expected.

I talked to the tech and he said he thinks that a clutch broke/breaking or there's brass filings blocking a solenoid. Either case there's damage in there needing to be assessed.

Also to add, I asked ford to pull an Oasis report. It does have the 655 trans.

Update 2/21: Emailed asking for an update. Received the following:
"My tech ordered a bunch of parts yesterday that we received today. Looks like it might be done by the end of the week."

So I guess we'll see....

I'd start looking into your states Lemon Law as in my state you are already over 1/3 of the way there.

Last update: Got the car back on Friday last week. The write up says "line pressure stall test high into gear at idle". "disassembled and found direct clutch apply piston blown". "Overhauled trans, cleaned valve body & overhauled valve body, replaced solenoid body, flushed cooler.

Hopefully this is the end of it.

Update 1/29/2019

So as I mentioned in other threads, my exploder starting exhibiting similar problems as last year such as slipping during acceleration and then hard-shifting into gear. We took it to the dealer last week but they were not able to duplicate it.

So, of course, after we got the car home it started doing it's thing. This time however there's added issues, it is hard-shifting when it downshifts into 2nd or 1st gear (don't know which) and, more importantly, it is no longer accelerating properly.

The new concern, which I've told the dealer is a safety issue, is that from a stand-still, the car acts as if it's trying to take off in 5th gear. It's sounds bogged down, the rpms won't go above 2k, putting the gas pedal to the floor does nothing, using the paddles to attempt to downshift does nothing, and there is a defined 'clunk' when going from P to either D or R.

And, of course, it's all intermittent.

The really odd thing was yesterday when I was trying to get it to go back into a gear the engine bay actually had a "hiss" sound and after I got it into the garage, it definitely smelled like something was burning. Unfortunate we didn't get the sound on video but we have plenty of video of all the other stuff.

Video of no acceleration:
No Acelleration.mp4

Pay no attention to my narration, I was so surprised I kept using the wrong terms. :)

I'll update when I hear from the dealer.

Does it behave any differently if you command it manually through the gears?

To be honest, I haven't tried. I'm not sure how to put it in manual mode. It only has "Drive" and "Sport". If you use the paddles in sport mode, does it default to manual?

Update 1/29/2019

So as I mentioned in other threads, my exploder starting exhibiting similar problems as last year such as slipping during acceleration and then hard-shifting into gear. We took it to the dealer last week but they were not able to duplicate it.

So, of course, after we got the car home it started doing it's thing. This time however there's added issues, it is hard-shifting when it downshifts into 2nd or 1st gear (don't know which) and, more importantly, it is no longer accelerating properly.

The new concern, which I've told the dealer is a safety issue, is that from a stand-still, the car acts as if it's trying to take off in 5th gear. It's sounds bogged down, the rpms won't go above 2k, putting the gas pedal to the floor does nothing, using the paddles to attempt to downshift does nothing, and there is a defined 'clunk' when going from P to either D or R.

And, of course, it's all intermittent.

The really odd thing was yesterday when I was trying to get it to go back into a gear the engine bay actually had a "hiss" sound and after I got it into the garage, it definitely smelled like something was burning. Unfortunate we didn't get the sound on video but we have plenty of video of all the other stuff.

Video of no acceleration:
No Acelleration.mp4

Pay no attention to my narration, I was so surprised I kept using the wrong terms. :)

I'll update when I hear from the dealer.

Any error lights pop up on the dash? When my MAP sensor was bad, I got all sorts of errors (collision warning disabled, wrench symbol displayed, etc) and the symptoms were like your intermittent ones (take off like trans slipping, low rpms, hard shift from P to D, etc).

Some Ford vehicles will ignore the paddles when in Drive, so to be sure, use the paddles in Sport. My paddles do work in Drive but I don't want to suggest that such a configuration is universal.

No error codes. I wonder if they will consider the MAP sensor when T/S... But in any case, there has been damage to the transmission at this point, there's no doubt.

The paddles do work in when not in sport. After the incident on the road took place I checked to see if the paddles worked at the next light. The vehicle did show that it was in first gear. But I didn't shift using the paddles since I didn't want to battle the car for gear selections.

Ford has the vehicle so I can't test any of this.

From my experience transmission overhauls in the dealership are just as hit and miss as your local ammco rebuilder. They throw some parts at it to see what it does and hope it fixes it. You need to get a whole new / reman unit that was not built by the guy in the back of the dealership. He might know what he's doing but while I worked in the service dept of a dealer for 8 years I saw a ton of questionable transmission repairs. (Not flushing lines when they say they did, warrantying valve bodies without even testing, working in very unorganized areas that could easily misplace a small part ect). Warranty pay is garbage and they will nail your car together as fast as they can to end up with fair pay for the job.

Update 2/4.
We got the explorer back on Friday last week (the dealer kept it for a week) after they were unable to duplicate the problem. It started acting up Friday night, all day Saturday and continued to get worse on Sunday. I sent my service manager 3 more videos on Sunday night showing him how easy it was to duplicate the issue and requested they do a ride-along.

My wife came home from morning errands and told me the car is doing the worst bit - the no acceleration problem. About then Ford calls and asks some questions about the videos I sent and said they're trying to figure out what to do. This makes sense since the vehicle isn't throwing any codes.

I decide to drive to the dealer and on the way the transmission failed and the car went into limp mode. So, SUCCESS! I can prove the vehicle is broke!

Get to the dealer, and I take the service manager around the block (I'm able to floor the pedal with no acceleration) and he has me drive around to the transmission shop. We talk to them and he says "Well, you have a light". I told him it came on during my drive to the dealer. He gets out his laptop and sure enough, there are several failures/faults in the transmission. He didn't blink an eye and said, "your transmission needs to be completely rebuilt". He said between what has failed and what it's done to the internal parts, he'll need to rebuild the entire thing. He said it'll be at least 2 weeks and it may be more if Ford wants to send an engineer. I'll let you know what it all said when I get the paperwork back.

Fun surprise #2 - The airbag light came on yesterday while I was getting video of the transmission problem. So I've got that going for me... Yes, they are going to fix that too...

Fun surprise #3 - His diagnostic tool is showing several other failures as well. He glossed over them but it even includes "Seat Position" failures. I'm guessing there's a control unit or two going bad somewhere.

Now here's the rub. Ford no longer offers courtesy cars for warranty work. Only if you have the extended warranty. But, the SM said he'd call Ford when he submits the paperwork and see if he can't get us a vehicle. Have you all heard this at your dealer???

So I have 2 paths forward if I don't get a car:

1) Call Ford regional myself and argue.
2) Buy an extended warranty. Based on how many problems I'm having, I don't think I have a choice here.
3) Trade it in on another vehicle. Ugh... I don't want to think about it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update 2/4.
We got the explorer back on Friday last week (the dealer kept it for a week) after they were unable to duplicate the problem. It started acting up Friday night, all day Saturday and continued to get worse on Sunday. I sent my service manager 3 more videos on Sunday night showing him how easy it was to duplicate the issue and requested they do a ride-along.

My wife came home from morning errands and told me the car is doing the worst bit - the no acceleration problem. About then Ford calls and asks some questions about the videos I sent and said they're trying to figure out what to do. This makes sense since the vehicle isn't throwing any codes.

I decide to drive to the dealer and on the way the transmission failed and the car went into limp mode. So, SUCCESS! I can prove the vehicle is broke!

Get to the dealer, and I take the service manager around the block (I'm able to floor the pedal with no acceleration) and he has me drive around to the transmission shop. We talk to them and he says "Well, you have a light". I told him it came on during my drive to the dealer. He gets out his laptop and sure enough, there are several failures/faults in the transmission. He didn't blink an eye and said, "your transmission needs to be completely rebuilt". He said between what has failed and what it's done to the internal parts, he'll need to rebuild the entire thing. He said it'll be at least 2 weeks and it may be more if Ford wants to send an engineer. I'll let you know what it all said when I get the paperwork back.

Fun surprise #2 - The airbag light came on yesterday while I was getting video of the transmission problem. So I've got that going for me... Yes, they are going to fix that too...

Fun surprise #3 - His diagnostic tool is showing several other failures as well. He glossed over them but it even includes "Seat Position" failures. I'm guessing there's a control unit or two going bad somewhere.

Now here's the rub. Ford no longer offers courtesy cars for warranty work. Only if you have the extended warranty. But, the SM said he'd call Ford when he submits the paperwork and see if he can't get us a vehicle. Have you all heard this at your dealer???

So I have 2 paths forward if I don't get a car:

1) Call Ford regional myself and argue.
2) Buy an extended warranty. Based on how many problems I'm having, I don't think I have a choice here.
3) Trade it in on another vehicle. Ugh... I don't want to think about it.

Why are they suggesting a rebuild?
I had the surging issue last summer when it was in for a new PTU and a brand new transmission was approved on the spot.

Back