Transmission Slipping - Updated 8/23/22 Back in the shop! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Slipping - Updated 8/23/22 Back in the shop!

All this rebuilding of the transmission seems futile, a brand new transmission would be a better answer and probably cheaper but Ford doesn't seem to think that way, a real shame.
Your last post (#19) makes me think that if this repair doesn't completely fix ALL of your car's mechanical problems you might investigate Option #3, trade it. I've felt much the same about my car, after each repair I run that thought thru the adding machine and wonder if I ought to keep it. Right now it's running okay but frankly, I don't trust it.

I bought the ESP Warranty with the Enhanced Rental Option and believe me it has come in very handy with all the time my car has been in the shop. Nor do I always get an equivalent model car to drive, mostly I've had a Ford Fusion, but that's another issue. However, the ESP PremiumCARE Warranty does have rental car limits - FTA:

"If You purchased the Enhanced Rental Option with any of the Coverages referenced above, We will reimburse You for vehicle rental charges You actually incur up to $60 per day (including tax) for up to 10 days for all plans except RentalCARE and for up to 3 days on RentalCare or until the repair is complete, whichever occurs first. Enhanced Rental Option starts when the Vehicle is delivered to the Selling Dealer or other Ford Motor Company franchised dealer for service."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford has never covered rentals unless you have an ESP. Even then, it is up to 10 days if you do have one.

On edit, I see ExPlat answered already.

Let the dealer fight FMC, don't bother fighting them yourself. The Customer Relationship Center is only designed to keep the customers away from corporate under the guise of actually being helpful. They're not even FMC employees, but contractors.

You got lucky with that light... for some reason, those codes tend not to store historically for when the light clears after a keycycle.

I've got a seat position code too, but it's always historical. Connector is probably a touch loose, but I've never had any indication something was wrong until I checked with FORScan. Never popped a light.

....................................................................Now here's the rub. Ford no longer offers courtesy cars for warranty work. Only if you have the extended warranty. But, the SM said he'd call Ford when he submits the paperwork and see if he can't get us a vehicle. Have you all heard this at your dealer???.
This is nothing new. If you check your Warranty Guide you will see that Ford does not provide loaners/rentals. If a dealer provides one, it is at their cost. If you had bought the Ford ESP, then you would be entitled to rental.
EDIT: I see several comments were posted since I began my post and didn't realize there was a page 2.;)

Peter

I don't know why he's rebuilding it instead of putting in a new one. It was an off-the-cuff comment as we were all standing there. They might very well put a new one in since this is the 2nd time with this problem. Or not.

So if I read that right, with premium extended warranty, it only covers 10 days? Ugh. That still hoses me.

Odd that last year when I had a transmission problem, they gave me a courtesy car/rental at no cost to me. They had said that it was a policy change but assumed that was Ford, not the dealer.

On getting lucky with the light. The tech was funny. He said "Put the vehicle in park, do NOT shut it off, and get out". He said it twice. I was even leery of putting it into park since, in the past, it had corrected itself after having done so. But it definitely went bad this time.

So this car has been repaired (all under warranty) since I've had it:
1) BLIS System - Sensor in rear qrtpanel and drivers mirror
2) Transmission - documented here last year
3) A recall
4) Broken serpentine belt & subsequent broken A/C line
5) Transmission #2 (This issue)
6) Airbag
7) Driver's seat heater
8) "Other" issues as stated by the tech but not documented yet. The seat being one but he mentioned others.

Ghosts in the machine.

They gave me a '19 Explorer XLT ecoboost as a courtesy car. Gives me the opportunity to compare the ecoboost vs our v-6. The ecoboost is definitely more peppy but I still prefer the v-6. When I picked up the courtesy car this past Monday they told me that they hadn't even opened it yet and that they would get to it this week. Once opened and apart, they would be ordering parts. They said they'd have my vehicle at least 2 weeks - not including time served. ;) Plus they still need to fix the airbag fault, reprogram the climate control module (I got the 'letter' last week) and whatever else was on the report. So I'm going to be patient.

I doubt I'll get any updates unless I call and I don't plan on bugging them since they hooked me up. :)

They gave me a '19 Explorer XLT ecoboost as a courtesy car. Gives me the opportunity to compare the ecoboost vs our v-6. The ecoboost is definitely more peppy but I still prefer the v-6. When I picked up the courtesy car this past Monday they told me that they hadn't even opened it yet and that they would get to it this week. Once opened and apart, they would be ordering parts. They said they'd have my vehicle at least 2 weeks - not including time served. ;) Plus they still need to fix the airbag fault, reprogram the climate control module (I got the 'letter' last week) and whatever else was on the report. So I'm going to be patient.

I doubt I'll get any updates unless I call and I don't plan on bugging them since they hooked me up. :)

Thats how I feel every time I get an 18 Expedition.. dont call them.. dont care.. keep it as long as you want lol.

Dealer just called. The parts got ordered yesterday. They found a crack on the inside of the transmission case so the case is getting replaced as well. But not a whole new transmission, just the parts that need replacing. If all goes well, the vehicle will be done by end of next week.

Just curious how many miles on this Explorer?

A whopping 30k. 20k last year when the trans failed...

Wow, that sucks !

I had a Ford Windstar back in '99. First year they had to replace the engine, not rebuild it, replace it. Second year the tranny started slipping, I dumped it. Hate it when you run into that stuff !! I swore off Fords for some time because of that, just returned with this '16 Explorer. Hasn't been great , wheel bearing replaced at 27k miles, new rear brakes, last year the throttle body failed. Those miles are mostly highway. Good luck with your tranny !!

Dealer called. Not ready yet. Probably won't be buttoned up until Monday. The SA said they're having trouble getting parts.

Then they still need to work on the other stuff. He said Monday or Tuesday next week.

Dealer called. This is getting comical. They said they are unable to fix it. They changed several things and now they are trying to pre-load the transmission and they are unable to. I don't know exactly what that means but they are ordering another pre-load "mechanism" because they think that this one might be broken. They think.

SA told me they've requested approval to replace the whole transmission TWICE but some bean counter at Ford won't let them. It's cheaper to rebuild it than replace it they say.

He said to hang loose with the courtesy car and wait to hear from them. The new part will be here tomorrow or Thursday and they'll get back at it. I'm guessing the dealer is losing money on this warranty deal.

I'm maintaining a good attitude because, at the end of the day, they are taking care of me. Nothing against these guys but I'm worried they'll get it back together but it won't be right. I don't doubt they know what they're doing I just don't feel like I can trust the transmission at this point.

I wouldn't trust the transmission beyond the distance you are willing to walk.

I'm maintaining a good attitude because, at the end of the day, they are taking care of me. Nothing against these guys but I'm worried they'll get it back together but it won't be right. I don't doubt they know what they're doing I just don't feel like I can trust the transmission at this point.
Good for you on keeping a good attitude, it can't be easy. Trusting the vehicle after an episode like this won't be easy either. Thanks for keeping us informed.

I don't even know where to begin. I talked to a "Friend of a friend" who owns several dealerships. He said the transmission should have been replaced from the beginning per Ford's procedures. He said his tranny guys are getting frustrated because they've spent years perfecting their craft but all they do now are swaps. He has no idea why they're throwing parts at this problem. He said a lot more but this is good for now.

I called the dealer this morning. The part is on back-order with no scheduled delivery date. In other words there are no parts in the supply chain. No idea when there'll be one. I asked if that means we've moved on to R&R the whole thing. He said it's been escalated. I said to who? His response was "ford parts". I don't know if they're escalating the back-order or the R&R decision. I also asked if a Field Service Engineer has been involved. He said he didn't think so but wasn't sure. I was told this should have happened after week 1.

Would be great if any Ford reps that peruse the site to check in... :)

Again, the place has been good to me so I don't want to be 'that guy' but it would be great to get my vehicle back some time soon. I know that it's frustrating them as well. They've had the vehicle for a month now (between trying to duplicate the issue and when it finally died).

Thinking about changing my forum name to "Mentally Exhausted".

That is ridiculous. I have had 3 Explorers, 2004, 2008, and 2010 that had transmission failures, and in every case they replaced the transmission with a new one and I had my car back within a week each time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is ridiculous. I have had 3 Explorers, 2004, 2008, and 2010 that had transmission failures, and in every case they replaced the transmission with a new one and I had my car back within a week each time.
That's a lot of problem trannies. We're they really replaced with "new" units or were they factory rebuilds? Just asking as there are quite a few parts that are actually factory rebuilds, and not factory new.

Back