Transmission swap torque converter question 05 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission swap torque converter question 05 explorer

thunderman0703

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Ford Explorer
My 05 explorer was attacked by a deer and in the process something got knocked loose in the tranny and caused codes to pop indicating dirty lines/transmission. I just decided to swap out the transmission with an 03 I have in my yard. We dropped the 05 tranny today but the tq didn't come out with it. I figured I'd do some research and some of the things I'm reading say you need to pull the tq with the tranny to avoid pump problems (which would explain why when I tried this on a Chevy it didn't work very long). My question is where are the bolts for removing the tq from the vehicle (if any) or is there some other process I'm missing. I don't want to pull the one in the 03 until I'm sure I'm not going to damage anything as I can't afford it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@imp Yep. That's what I mean and I took those out before removing the whole transmission and it's still acting like it's bolted on

Well I had some cranial flatulence or something. I could have sworn I read it had 3 bolts holding it in so I only took 3 out. Came right out after I pulled the 4th bolt. Imagine that. Won't make that mistake on the donor vehicle. All I'll having problems with now is that passenger upper Bell housing bolt. Going to get a few more tools tomorrow so I can get it off. It seems there is less space in the 03 up top than in the 05. Thank you for your response.

Well I had some cranial flatulence or something. I could have sworn I read it had 3 bolts holding it in so I only took 3 out. Came right out after I pulled the 4th bolt. Imagine that. Won't make that mistake on the donor vehicle. All I'll having problems with now is that passenger upper Bell housing bolt. Going to get a few more tools tomorrow so I can get it off. It seems there is less space in the 03 up top than in the 05. Thank you for your response.
@thunderman0703
There is usually a simple answer for a seemingly difficult problem. Glad you got it out. imp

Just be careful locking the converter in place BEFORE you put the new transmission up in place.

It usually sits recessed about 1\4" to 3\16" behind the front flange of the bell housing when installed properly.

If I am correct some Ford Transmissions used with the V-6 engine actually have a special alignment tool that is needed.

This video will give you a general idea.

Back