• Register Today It's free!

Transmission troubles

Nate88

Reaction score
City, State
idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
My automatic transmission has been making some clanking/rattling noises. It only makes the noises when it is in Park or Neutral, when I shift into Reverse or Drive the noise stops. I am concerned about this becuase I have to drive 500 miles home after Christmas. I also know that the trannies are notoriously bad. If you have any ideas what may be going wrong or have experienced similar problems let me know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your Catalytic Converter Heat Shields and exhaust hangers. Chances are the rattle is something loose, not the tranny.

what he said. (TP you are good, ya know that?)

Thanks! So are you! I gladly defer to you and Brain for in depth Tranny Q's. I wish I could remember half of what the 2 of you know about the trannys.

A little more info.

Ok, so this is where I am at. I have been doing some work on the vehicle anyways, new hubs, rotors, brakes, bearings, etc... When i have the manual hubs unlocked there is no noise, where they are locked there is noise and when they hubs are unlocked and i engage the 4x4 the noise comes back, this is making me think there may be some issue with the transfer case but i have no idea how to check or test a transfer case.

Back