• Register Today It's free!

Transmission wiring issue

JakePSD

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
I bought an 02 mounty for pretty cheap. Was told the transmission wiring harness needed repaired and that was it. Long story short that isn't all that's wrong with it but I'm stuck with it now and just gonna tackle one thing at a time. So my question is, where is the other end of this plug? I dug around for a bit and didn't see much but I'm pressed for time at the moment until later tonight. For reference, I'm laying under the driver side, facing the passenger and that is the trans pan behind the plug. Front of the truck is to the left.

IMG_20150926_171905_009.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The plug goes to the transmission solenoid pack. It is on the driver side of the transmission case. The actual solenoid is inside of the transmission and the plug end extends upwards to meet with the end of the wire that you are holding. The bolt in the harness screws down to the solenoid to keep it in place. The plug is near the linkage for reference. It needs to be plugged in for the transmission to work. Use a mirror and you'll see the plug end.

By the way, anyone know what size that bolt is? If I know I can probably find one laying around the shop that'll work. I've got a box overflowing with random size bolts and nuts from other vehicles. My f-250 has a couple bolts from a Honda on it haha.

So now that I've figured out where that plug goes, can anyone give me a pinout diagram with wire colors on it? The plug has different color wires than the rest of the harness. I'm guessing it came from a different year truck.

So now that I've figured out where that plug goes, can anyone give me a pinout diagram with wire colors on it? The plug has different color wires than the rest of the harness. I'm guessing it came from a different year truck.

Anyone? I'm thinking mine is an early build 02 (mountaineer), hence the different wire colors but I'm not 100% sure as the door sticker is missing and I'm not sure how else to tell. Not sure if there is a difference between explorers and mountaineers either. If anyone could get me a schematic that'd be great. I can't find anything. If someone has a shop manual it'd probably be in there.

I tried plugging in the harness from the other '02 (explorer) I have (late build) but the plug next to the PCM didn't quite match. The guide tabs were on opposite sides. I filed them down and plugged it in but the trans would not do anything when I tried putting it in gear. I hope I didn't fry something doing that. I'm retrospect that was kind of a dumb idea. That's what happens when you make a decision when pissed off.

Thanks man. Hopefully that does it for me. At some point I may need other diagrams for hooking up a remote start system but that's gonna be a month or more probably.

Good luck on the remote start.. I just tried to in my explorer. The unit didn't work! :( Also, there is NO room for all of the wiring and the unit up under the dash.. Plus, the wiring was a major pain thanks to ford hiding and making the harnesses very short.

I hooked one up in my 97 I'm currently driving. Not much room but it wasn't too bad. Had to extend a few wires so I could work with then though.

Back