1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Transmission Woes

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TallPeter, December 8, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. TallPeter

TallPeter New Member

City, State:
      North Plainfield, NJ
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '94 XLT
      My cousin is the offending owner-- I am a Jeep nut myself.
      Regretfully, he is looking at his second rebuild on his Explorer Tranny. He has the 4.0 with the A4LD It is 4WD. From what I hear, this trans was doomed before it left the drawnig board.
      He hauls alot of stuff with it on a regular basis(it is a work truck for him), and it suits his needs perfectly. He wants to keep it, but doesn't want to have to worry about having to take it easy on the trans. WHat, if any, are the popular/easiest transmission conversions folks do on Explorers? It looks like the GM 700R or a FOrd AOD adapters are available.
      I was talking to Advance Adapters today. They tell me this engine is no a standard FOrd bolt pattern, therefore it needs an adapter to bolt up to a fullsize trans (C-4 or C-5). How true is this?
      I swapped a T-18 into my CJ and can't be happier with it. We are hoping there is a similar option for his rig.
      Thanks--TallPeter

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.