Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just rolled over 25,000 miles and had the car in the shop over the weekend telling me I'm down to 4/32 on all 4 of the Hankook Ventus S1 noble 2 tires. When did others take theirs in to have the shop call Hankook about getting a rebate? Should I wait until it's 2/32 to take it in and see what they will say or best to do it now?

Also, long time lurking on the forum, and this is my first post, but can't figure out how to add a picture to my profile. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Bill

Welcome to the Forum Bill.:wave:
In order to add a picture you have to get the Elite Explorer membership ($20). Click on the Join Elite Explorers at the top of the page for info.

Peter

I'm at 18k miles with about 5/32" left on all tires. All miles driven in Florida, where our asphalt seems a bit rougher with shell rock aggregate. Wear is even, no chipping or separation of rubber, and the tires perform great. I'm disappointed to probably get only 25k miles on the set, but it's also not outrageous for a high performing tire, in my opinion. I'll certainly pursue any prorated discounts available, but it'll be a tough decision to possibly sacrifice performance for treadlife on my next set of tires.

Just took my '18 Platinum into the dealership. Said "yep" they are at 4/32 and need replacing at 19,000 miles

Going to call me with the prorate and cost.

The suck part is that I have to replace with same tire. Not really my choice, but if the price is right I guess I will go with it.

How much credit did most get?

Just took my '18 Platinum into the dealership. Said "yep" they are at 4/32 and need replacing at 19,000 miles

The suck part is that I have to replace with same tire. Not really my choice, but if the price is right I guess I will go with it.

Aren't there any other tires that fit? I groove 20k+ miles per year so I'm not looking forward to replacing tires every year, Thankfully the tires on my limited were new when I bought it, but I'm 5k miles in already. Lol

Several members were able to replace the OEM tires with a different brand. I believe in one instance, that was even allowed by Hankook. If they insist on a Hankook tire replacement, see if they will at least allow you to get the ones designated for an SUV, not a passenger car.

Peter

Hancook will give/credit your dealer the money for the tire. They aren't going to physically ship them a new one. No reason IMO they can't take that credit and apply it to a different brand and you pay the difference of whatever that is. Hancook will have no idea about what you do.

Just had my Hankook S1 Noble 2 tyres eventually replaced by Ford in the Philippines but they have re-fitted the S1 Noble 2 tyres, I wasn't allowed a choice.
I'm concerned that these tyres are still unsuitable for a large heavy SUV, does anyone know if Hankook have updated the compound/sidewall or has anyone had an issues with newer S1 Noble 2's?
Surely if the tyre hasn't been updated by Hankook the tyres will need replacing again due to the same issues

Just had my Hankook S1 Noble 2 tyres eventually replaced by Ford in the Philippines but they have re-fitted the S1 Noble 2 tyres, I wasn't allowed a choice.
I'm concerned that these tyres are still unsuitable for a large heavy SUV, does anyone know if Hankook have updated the compound/sidewall or has anyone had an issues with newer S1 Noble 2's?
Surely if the tyre hasn't been updated by Hankook the tyres will need replacing again due to the same issues
I have a '19 with the Hankooks and was concerned as you are that the problem from 1-2 years ago persisted - however I've seen no early or uneven wear issues after 10k miles on mine. I think there was a bad batch or several bad batches where there was an issue.

I had no choice when they replaced mine, I had to put the same ones back on and they wore out just as quick. I just put some Good Years on, better tire all around so far.

My '18 Platinum is not even 2 years old and less than 22,000 miles and my Hankook Ventus S1 Noble's are GONE.

I am looking for replacements really soon and the Advantage T/A Sport LT's. They review well on Tirerack.com but I would take suggestions from the team.

My '18 Platinum is not even 2 years old and less than 22,000 miles and my Hankook Ventus S1 Noble's are GONE.

I am looking for replacements really soon and the Advantage T/A Sport LT's. They review well on Tirerack.com but I would take suggestions from the team.
If you are using this offer you may or may not have a choice; Hankook Brand 20 Inch Tire - Tread Wear Tire Replacement - 2015-2018 Ford Explorer - Ford. Some members were able to get a different brand installed. You may also want to check out; Time for tires

Peter

If you are using this offer you may or may not have a choice; Hankook Brand 20 Inch Tire - Tread Wear Tire Replacement - 2015-2018 Ford Explorer - Ford. Some members were able to get a different brand installed. You may also want to check out; Time for tires

Peter

I took the Platinum into the dealer a few months ago for tire-wear. They determined that they were in fact worn past their life cycle, all with under 20K on the clock.

The service writer called me back a day or so later, saying that it would be covered under warranty, prorated on remaining tread on the tires. All that said, I asked him the "real" question: what will this cost me. He quoted $750 plus taxes and I would be required to continue with Hankook.

REALLY ?

If I assume another 20K distance from the "new" tires, and at that kind of money, I am MUCH better off with higher quality tires that "should" last much longer. Heck, even Tirerack quotes $771.96 for new BFG's

I took the Platinum into the dealer a few months ago for tire-wear. They determined that they were in fact worn past their life cycle, all with under 20K on the clock.

The service writer called me back a day or so later, saying that it would be covered under warranty, prorated on remaining tread on the tires. All that said, I asked him the "real" question: what will this cost me. He quoted $750 plus taxes and I would be required to continue with Hankook.

REALLY ?

If I assume another 20K distance from the "new" tires, and at that kind of money, I am MUCH better off with higher quality tires that "should" last much longer. Heck, even Tirerack quotes $771.96 for new BFG's
Mine are at 13k and seem ok, but for me the BFGs are the leader in the clubhouse when the time comes.

Mine are at 13k and seem ok, but for me the BFGs are the leader in the clubhouse when the time comes.

Mine looked good around 13-15K but really degraded quickly from that point. I have never had a set of tires do that, even on my Corvette.

I am also looking at Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus. Seems like a good choice for the Platinum driven spiritedly and the EB

I just had my 2017 Explorer Sport tires replaced at the dealer. 26k miles and they gave me 48% credit towards the new tires. They put on Hankook Dynapro HP2s. 640 treadwear so that should help and a tire FOR an SUV.

Welcome to the Forum Bruce.:wave:
Being that they are an SUV/Crossover tire, I hope they provide longer life than the OEM.

Peter

I have a 2018 Platinum and I am just under 22,000 miles (car less than 2 years old) and was advised at my last service that I will likely need tire replacement (@ under 30,000 miles). 2 tires at 5/32 and 2 at 4/32 by paperwork although by phone the service rep told me 3 tires were at 4/32 and wearing evenly. I had already reviewed these posts so was prepared for this issue. Asked dealer service to call Hankook and see what they could do for me as this seemed to be premature wear. They called and asked for the last 4 of the "DOT" number on each tire. Later called back to say they were sorry, they tried, but Hankook does not warranty tread wear and nothing they can do; that these first sets of tires never seem to last long. Dealer never mentioned the replacement program or awareness of this issue. They told me to call Hankook to see if I had better luck.

I called and spoke with the Hankook warranty representative- polite and helpful. He gathered same DOT information and advised that my numbers of 1718 for 3 tires and 1818 for the 4th tire do not fall under their Ford warranty tire replacement program as my tires fall outside of the date of manufacture for the tires covered under the program. When I asked him the manufacture date of my tires and the date of the tires that were covered under this program to confirm lack of eligibility, he advised this was "confidential" information and could not share. Really? I googled it and learned that 1718 is manufacture date of the 17th week of the year 2018. Not rocket science. I asked him to contact his supervisor and see what he could do. He called back in an hour and offered $54 per tire as a good faith effort and that I could put that toward any tire brand but would have to go through the dealer to obtain. I asked about going through a tire store where new tire prices might be better. He advised that the per tire price would be lower than $54 if not through the dealer because of the Hankook/Ford relationship. Again, interesting. I advised many other consumers were able to recoup more and to go back to his supervisor. He then advised that if he did go back and ask for more $ to be advised that only my tires with the 4/32 would be included - basically trying to convince me that the $54 per tire was a good deal. I called the dealer back and left a message citing the SSM47195 and asked the service rep to try again with Hankook. A week later no reply from the dealer who likely thinks this is too much work. I advised Hankook that it concerned me they would not share date of manufacture dates for the tire replacement program and gave me the feeling that they were not being transparent and that clearly these tires even after "changes" were made, were still an issue and still "defective". ANY ADVICE AS TO HOW YOU ALL WOULD PROCEED? Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Andrea. :wave:
I don't know about the U.S. Ford dealers but here in Canada they have slogan that they won't be undersold on tires. Costco is excluded. If I wasn't getting anywhere with Hankook, I'd take the offer and get the tires you want through a Ford dealership.

Peter

Back