Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by ZRacer83, January 18, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. ExPlat

ExPlat Elite Explorer

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2016 Explorer Platinum
    Mine have been rotated twice in 10,200 miles, which means the original front tires are on the front again and they are the most worn out. I checked the wear today and the fronts are below 4/32, the rears just below 6/32. Pretty fast wear for a vehicle that is driven sanely.

After reading this thread about all the trouble trying to get Ford or Hankook to honor any warranty and the poor reviews on TireRack I decided to just bite the bullet and replace them. Costco has a deal on Michelin Defender LTX 255/50R20 109H XL BSW AS tires right now and they will be installed tomorrow. I'm looking forward to the new hoops. :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. jade97

jade97 Active Member

City, State:
    S.E. Pennsylvania
    2016 Sport & 2018 Edge
    The Defender's I ordered from TireRack are in the car waiting to be installed today, as well.

My 2016 Sport came with the Noble's and are shot at 36,500 miles...

4. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Thanks for the info Brian. I'll be putting the OEM tire on at the end of the month. Haven't driven on them yet since I had them put the old Winters on when I picked it up on Halloween. I don't drive nearly as much as you so I should be okay in that regard. Only drive about 4k a year split between the OEM Hankooks and Bridgestone DM-V1 tires. If this current 48 month lease goes anything like my previous 2, I can probably expect a call from the dealer after 36 months.:D

Peter

5. cwescapexlt4x4

cwescapexlt4x4 Explorin' the Desert SW Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Litchfield Park, AZ area...
    2016 Explorer LTD (FWD)
    Those changing, please report back in the feel/drive with the new treads.

6. ExPlat

ExPlat Elite Explorer

2016 Explorer Platinum
    I've only had the new tires for about 25 miles but the ride home from Costco was nice. It was a smooth, controlled & quiet ride which made the ExPlat feel more like a luxury vehicle than it had with the Hankook's. There was a tiny bit of tread squirm but the tires are not broken in yet. The light truck load index (109H) on the Michelin's vs the lower Hankook load index (105H) seems to help the handling too. When I'm at the Dealers next time I'll have the alignment checked again.
    So far I like them a lot, glad I did it. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    That could be because now you have tires designed for light truck and SUV use instead of the Hankook passenger car tires.:)

Peter

8. ExPlat

ExPlat Elite Explorer

2016 Explorer Platinum
    Yes, and now that I have a couple hundred miles on the Michelin Defenders I am VERY glad I purchased them.
    I bought this car last September and it has always been difficult to drive in a smooth manner, it felt, for lack of a better word, 'twitchy'. The wife has been commenting that this car is sort of shaking her back and forth, she thought it was more of a truck ride, I did raise & lower the tire pressure hoping to find a less jarring ride. Well, we had a 2015 Ford Expedition EL for a loaner car last week (with 40 psi tires) and put about 350 miles on it, it was real easy to drive smoothly and the overall ride quality was better than this ExPlat., my wife commented on that when we turned it in.
    Fast forward to buying these new Michelin tires, no more 'twitch', it goes where you point it and stays there, the potholes/tar strips and other road annoyances are muted, it is quieter in the cabin, much smoother & controlled. The wife has noticed how much better the ExPlat rides now, which is a good omen... ;)

The Hankooks might be okay tires but I think these Michelin's are a vast improvement.

Edit: The Michelin's are listed as Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tires, possibly helping the mileage.

Last edited: March 11, 2017
  9. cwescapexlt4x4

cwescapexlt4x4 Explorin' the Desert SW Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Litchfield Park, AZ area...
    2016 Explorer LTD (FWD)
    Had mine rotated on Saturday - 7/32 and 6/32 at 20,100 miles for FWD 3.5 NA and I am not a gentle driver.

10. GeoMimi89

GeoMimi89 Active Member

City, State:
    NY
    2016 Explorer Sport
    I'm having the same problem with these tires! And my Ford dealer said wear is not covered!!!
    19,500 miles

Last edited: March 16, 2017
  11. 182RG

182RG Active Member

City, State:
    Winchester, VA
    '11 XLT / '13 Touareg TDI
    New vehicles generally need alignment, right off the delivery truck.

I always take new vehicles in for a 4 wheel alignment ($ out of my pocket) at a competent, dedicated tire/suspension shop immediately after delivery. Hint, your Ford dealer isn't a competent, dedicated tire/suspension shop. Also asking the dealer to align a new vehicle generally will get ignored, or a "we'll check it" response.

The last 3 vehicles I've purchased new have needed it. (Explorer, Touareg, S5)

12. GeoMimi89

GeoMimi89 Active Member

City, State:
    NY
    2016 Explorer Sport
    The tires are wearing evenly. But they look like they have 50,000 miles. I've had several people comment on the tires agreeing that the wear is abnormal. All the tires look the same.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GeoMimi89

GeoMimi89 Active Member

City, State:
    NY
    2016 Explorer Sport
    Does the warranty cover the wear on the tires? I bought the warranty too!

14. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    I'm not familiar with that warranty but a warranty document usually says what it will and will not cover. Do you not have a copy of it? If I had to guess I'd say treadwear is not covered since it depends so much on how one drives and how much.

Peter

15. GeoMimi89

GeoMimi89 Active Member

City, State:
    NY
    2016 Explorer Sport
    I have it Peter. I'll look at it tonight. Still tires wearing down after only 20,000 miles is a joke!

• Like Like x 1
  16. GeoMimi89

GeoMimi89 Active Member

City, State:
    NY
    2016 Explorer Sport
    Peter my dealer said wear and tear is not covered! My friend checked the tread depth and it's around 4/32 at 19,500 miles all four tires!

Last edited: March 17, 2017
  17. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    As suspected, treadwear doesn't seem to fall under "Defective Tires" label. This is understandable in a way since everyone has different driving styles that affect wear.

Peter

18. balajibv

balajibv New Member

2016 Explorer 4WD LTD
    I own a 2016 Ford Explorer Limited with all bells and whistles from the Platinum (kinda custom added by order).

I have 26000+ miles on my Explorer. Last week I noticed the tread peeling all over the tire like flakes. This was happening on ALL four tires. Also the tire has worn out like to 4/32" already!!

I contacted the dealer who contacted Hankook. They are offering 4% discount on new Hankook tires because they are worn out!! Both of them are refusing to agree that this is a tire defect thats causing the wear. So the causality is being blamed

The Service Manager agreed that the tires are evenly worn and its not aggressive driving.

Thanks to this thread, I highlighted to him that
    a. This is beyond normal wear of this tire as the mileage warranty is 50000 miles
    b. This is covered under Ford Warranty at atleast 30%.

Will update once I hear from them.

19. ZRacer83

ZRacer83 New Member

City, State:
    California
    2016 Ford Explorer Sport
    Even if the vehcile was driven hard, the tires should still not be that worn at 12K miles. They ended up replacing them with the same tires. Hopefully I will get at least 25K out of them like most have.

20. CAtoFLin1994

CAtoFLin1994 Member

City, State:
    Naples, Florida
    2017 Explorer Sport
    I had to have 3 of my Hankooks replaced at 6500 miles due to out of round and they were only worn about 1 1/2nds to maybe 2/32nds. The heat and weather takes a toll on
    tires here in Southwest Florida and I never get the mileage associated with the warranty. I was a little surprised how much that they hadn't worn but, personally I will sacrifice mileage
    for a better gripping tire. Time will tell, but I haven't had a set of tires other than some Michelin LTX on a 4unner ( they would spin out in dog pee) lasting more than 40-45k miles.

21. Ford Explorer Fl

Ford Explorer Fl New Member

2016 Explorer Platinum
    Bought a new 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum with OEM Hankook Tires.
    Tires are now on the wear bars and need to be replaced at only 20,500 miles My wife noticed they have also become very noisy.
    Tread wear rating on the tire sidewall is 500
    My Option of these tires is they are JUNK.
    Buyer beware.