Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks

I know a lot of owners have complained about this, but excessive tire wear like what you are experiencing is almost always attributable to improper alignment. It may be worthwhile to have yours checked by a reputable frame/alignment shop and see what adjustments they can make to reduce your excessive tire wear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We had to replace our stock Hankook tires at about 20K miles, mind you they are a 50K mile tire. We are now told we need to replace them once again at 39K miles. Anyone else having excessive tire wear?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the Forum's 'Search' feature (upper right).
Check out this post #107; Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks

Peter

I know their has been a thread on this matter. My 2017 Explorer Platinum has 19k miles and the tires look like if i had 60k or i race everyday. I went to have my Explorer serviced and while there i told my service rep that the tires ***** premature and that i will get screwed when winter come and end of lease, so he took picture of the tires and check the depth on each tire and ford agreed to replace tires prorated them and they paid 60% and i paid 40%. When i get my next my2020 i will buy my own tires and when lease is up I'II put theirs back on. The Hankook tires are a piece a crap...

We have less than 25k on our 2017 Platinum with Hankook tires. The dealer confirmed that the Hankook's that are on our vehicle were a bad batch and they are seeing what they can do in terms of cost abatement for replacement.

We have less than 25k on our 2017 Platinum with Hankook tires. The dealer confirmed that the Hankook's that are on our vehicle were a bad batch and they are seeing what they can do in terms of cost abatement for replacement.
What dealership are you working with? Bo Bueckman by chance?

Have you read post #107?

Peter

Have you read post #107?

Peter

I just did. But, the news from the dealer is that I will be getting at least 50% off on new tires. I'm very pleased with the dealer and Hankook. There was a problem and they made things right. I will go ahead and put more Hankook's on the vehicle.

I'm a victim of the abnormally quick wear on the Hankook tires. I noticed the other day that at 19k miles I have between 2-3mm of tread remaining. A buddy told me there was a problem with these and after a quick Google it seems it's true. I'll see what the dealer can do for me and then contact Hankook.

I ran the original Hankooks down to 3/32" - almost to wear bars. They lasted 33,500 miles. Two of them exhibited the issues with chunks of rubber (about 1/2" diameter) and slicing/cuts across the tread, but all 4 wore down pretty evenly and quickly. They were great on dry pavement, but any rain or snow they were junk from day 1.
Replaced them with a set of Michelin Premier LTX based on the reviews on here and a few other sites. Been happy with Michelins in the past, so we'll see how these do. Incredibly smooth and quiet ride - but I any new tire would have been a vast improvement!

Wifes 2017 with 18000 km (12000 m) started peeling just like this with only 6/32 left. Ford paid for 4 Firestones (my choice). Glad to get rid of those junk Hancook's. Matter of fact i wont accept any more new vehicles with Hankook's on them. Either Ford or the dealer will have to replace them before i buy.

8500 miles on Hankook Ventus Nobles. Tread is peeling away on all four tires. After some debate with the local Ford dealer, I'm being credited with the full replacement value of the Hankooks. It doesn't appear that these tires are a good match for the Explorer. I'm looking at either the Pirelli Scorpion Verde or the Michelin Defenders.

rlYJEyMVLt.jpg

Wifes 2017 with 18000 km (12000 m) started peeling just like this with only 6/32 left. Ford paid for 4 Firestones (my choice). Glad to get rid of those junk Hancook's. Matter of fact i wont accept any more new vehicles with Hankook's on them. Either Ford or the dealer will have to replace them before i buy.
Hi Pete. Ford won't replace them and I don't know about the dealer. Mine wasn't interested at all when I asked about that when I picked up my 2011. I guess it may depend upon the dealer. Went to a tire shop and they gave me $80/tire credit toward Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires. I've noticed in photos of the 2019 Lincoln Nautalis and 2020 Aviator that they had Continental tires. My 2014 MKT had the Hankooks.

Peter

Hi Pete. Ford won't replace them and I don't know about the dealer. Mine wasn't interested at all when I asked about that when I picked up my 2011. I guess it may depend upon the dealer. Went to a tire shop and they gave me $80/tire credit toward Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires. I've noticed in photos of the 2019 Lincoln Nautalis and 2020 Aviator that they had Continental tires. My 2014 MKT had the Hankooks.

Peter
Hi Peter, That might be so, but in the end Ford did replace them. Maybe because i had winter tires on it from Oct till march and the Hankooks have about half that mileage on it. Not sure, but i do know my dealer argued well on my behalf. I intend on calling Fords 1-800 # and i'll let them know what i think of their Hankook tires. If their willing to let a customer on his 27th Ford slide away, so be it. I been looking at Mercedes anyways.

My dealer tried to get Hankook to replace the tires but they wouldn't do anything. Ford stepped up, and offered to cover 60% off a new set. I asked, pretty please another brand, but the offer was only good for the Hankooks. I have to get the work done before I hit 22k miles, otherwise the percentage that they cover decreases.

To be honest if Ford was going to replace them under warranty either 100% or prorated they would replace them with another set of Hankook's which is the root problem. Having read several problems with them I would expect mine to be replaced soon. I have heard good things on the Michelin Defender LTX but another good candidate is the Bridgestone Dueler. I will probably jump on the Duelers next time the Bridgestone's, come back into the rotation for the $70 Instant rebate at Costco.

I have had very good luck with Michelins on previous vehicles and got around 65K (ish) miles on the set before replacing.

Very pleased with my car, however the Hankook Ventus S1 noble 2 tires are worn almost to the wear bar with less than 20k miles. 255/50R20 105H. Is this normal wear? Any recommendations for a replacement tire?

My 2017 has the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 in 255/50R20 with 28k. They look like racing slicks, I was going to change them out in the next few weeks until....Monday morning I woke up to my front driver tire completely flat. I'm replacing all 4 this weekend with 255/50R-20 Michelin Defender LTX M/S XL tires from Tirerack. Link I would say the OEM Hankooks are the crappiest oem tires I've ever had but that designation goes to my 2008 Toyota Highlander that had tires that were smooth by 24,000 miles, replaced those with Bridgestone Dueler Alenza tires and got about 75,000 miles out of those!

I would say the OEM Hankooks are the crappiest oem tires I've ever had but that designation goes to my 2008 Toyota Highlander that had tires that were smooth by 24,000 miles, replaced those with Bridgestone Dueler Alenza tires and got about 75,000 miles out of those!
Those were probably Toyo tires. There were many complaints about them on the Toyota Forum.

Peter

Very pleased with my car, however the Hankook Ventus S1 noble 2 tires are worn almost to the wear bar with less than 20k miles. 255/50R20 105H. Is this normal wear? Any recommendations for a replacement tire?
Welcome to the Forum Barrett.:wave:
Your thread was moved to this existing one. Check out post #107.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back