Treadwright tires anyone? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Treadwright tires anyone?

:thumbsup::thumbdwn:
I am researching the treadwright.com tires. I am looking for some 31's. I want a mud terrain as that's what I enjoy most as of now. That should change after awhile. It get's everywhere!!!
I am looking at getting the sites version of either the BFG A/T or the MT/R.
ImgDisplay.aspx

ImgDisplay.aspx

I am wanting to know if anyone on here has some first hand experience with any of their tires, particularly the two mentioned above.

I did search first. Found two threads on their old stuff(Green Diamonds). They have a different and better product now from what I've heard.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Getting them put on today actually.

Edit:So maybe I put them on today I painted my wheels the trim color too

2569457640084817080S500x500Q85.jpg

2371240570084817080S500x500Q85.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Not trying to bash, but it is people like you, that have opinions with out any experience of using the tire at hand yet say it is bad, that should not post comments.

Also to everyone else, I just ordered a set of 31's, https://www.treadwright.com/shopnow/product/tabid/61/productid/9/sename/31-10-50r15-warden-a-t.aspx, with the bf all terrain tread, and I will post pics and let you know how they work out. I really wanted the MTR's but when it comes right down to it my Mountaineer will be driven on the road 95% of the time, so the AT's should work better for me.

Also, I have read dozens of reviews from magazines to personal uses, and every single one had only good things to say about the tires. One magazine, I can't remember the name of had a problem with the MT's chunking, but treadwright, the makers of the tire, stated this was from a bad rubber supplier and they do not use that supplier anymore, this was from several years ago as well.

I was very wary of the tires myself, but after reading all of the good comments, not to mention they are only 75 a piece, I decided to try a set. The warranty is 2yr/24000 mile as well.

Just posting my two cents since I have been heavily researching these retread tires.

Later, Robert

Was just surfing the website and came along the treadwright posts and will add my 2 cents. I purchased the same tire you did and have nothing but positive comments about them. They have 12,000 on them and you cant~tell it. They wear super well, have a little hum on the highway and now I can say do very well in the snow. We have had 2 major snow storms lately band I can go wherever I needed without worry. I will add too that I have driven a semi for 15 years and we run retreads all the time and have NEVER had a tread blow off the past 7 years due to the new way that the treads are now vulcanized instead of glued. Plus they are quite a bit cheaper! Treadwright is a very good company and I will buy from them again.

I thought I'd mention that I need to do more trimming in the front wheel wells since these tires are more "squared" than the TrXus' were. Same size tires too btw.

Kert, the tires look great!

I've been running my TW MTG's for almost 5 months now and I still love them! I haven't noticed any significant treadwear and they have kept the same tire pressure since day 1.

These tires do great in the mud and so far do really well on the road. I've dug through some nasty mud pits without a problem. I also get a lot of compliments on them when filling up at the gas station. :p

I did recently pull off to the side of the road on a snow/ice patch and they seemed to have a hard time getting traction, but I was sort of expecting that. You can't sipe retreads and MT's aren't really meant for icy roads.

I just ordered the old mtr look a like, can't wait to try them out in all the snow we have this year. Hopefully I will be another satisfied customer.

After having these tires on for a week or so they are impressing me more and more. To balance them I did the bb method when mounting them, they do make a some noise while driving but not to bad. Off road they are amazing they clean out well and were able to climb anything that was in front of me.

I also balanced mine with air-soft bb's they ride quieter and smoother than the worn down TrXus's did.

As a tractor-trailer owner-operator for 28 years, I can tell you that todays' "recap" tires are highly technically advanced. The casings are selected by brand, year manufactured, examined for previous repairs and un-repaired defects.

Quality shops only recap certain brands and tires that aren't too old...my Michelin dealers max is 5 years old.

If and only if the tire casing passed all the criteria is it re-manufactured. The process is the same as building a new tire.

The composition of the new tread is custom matched to the actual use of the tire. Long haul, regional, local, trash hauling, on/off road, off road, etc.

What are looking at when you see those rubber "alligators" ?

The result of driving with a tire under-inflated. Not enough air does a couple of things. The tire is out of its' design envelope (properly inflated shape), this causes the tire to rapidly overheat and ultimately catastrophically fail.

Most of the alligators contain steel belts...that steel is from the tire casing, not the "recap" tread. When a tire is driven under-inflated, the steel belts flex incorrectly and the sidewalls overheat...failure is a matter of time.

In a dual wheel setup, the "good" tire also suffers damage...depending on the vehicle weight it can also overheat and fail. That is the result of one tire carrying the weight of two. Best case scenario is that it doesn't fail immediately and the driver can limp into a place to get the blown tire replaced. Worst case, the good tire blows also and the rig is stranded with not only two ruined tires, but also ruined wheels, collateral damage to the undercarriage and possibly suspension damage. Hopefully no one in the vicinity has also been damaged or caused to crash.

I had no qualms about using recaps on my spread-axle flatbed. The tread was customized with a rounded edge to allow it to slide in a tight turn instead of an abrupt edge that would dig in and tear.

Some folks use them on the drive axles. Those tires are under tremendous stress from engine torque plus the side stresses when making turns.

All commercial airliners use recap tires.

Maintaining proper air pressure at all times throughout the life of the casing is the key to preventing most failures. A tire overheated one time is ruined. It may not fail immediately or tomorrow, but it will fail to live a long life.

I would use remanufactured tires on my pickup. Keep in mind that I've worn out quite a few air gauges over the years !

can someone please show me some pics of the sidewalls upclose

I just took these and it was dark out, so they aren't the best shots, but here is the sidewall of my front drivers side tire:

tw_side_a.gif

tw_side_b.gif

tw_side_c.gif

That little seam in the last pic has been there since day 1 and is normal for retreads.

I've had these on for about 6 months now and probably drive 1,000 to 1,500 miles per month. They are holding up well, though just recently I've started to notice some of the lugs have hairline cracks in them. That could be normal though, I've never owned a set of MT's before.

These cost me $421. One of the tires when I received it had a small chunk taken out of the rim guard, so rather than ship it back and wait for a new one, TreadWright shipped me a "spare" of the same tire for $20.

This thread made me pull the trigger on some 31/10.5R15 Guard Dog's for the X. Can't wait for them to get here. Pics in 2 weeks I guess :)

After reading all of the post's I can assume all of you who bought the retreaded tires like them and are pleased with how they are holding up? Im looking at a set for my mothers 04 Explorer, probably the 245/75r16 Warden (BFG knock off) since its her daily driver. I would like to hear how yours are holding up and any complaints?

Day 1 with them on:
DSC_0576.jpg

DSC_0574.jpg

They look great. I will soon find out about the durabilty, I drive 600-800 miles a week.

Day 1 with them on:
DSC_0576.jpg

DSC_0574.jpg

They look great. I will soon find out about the durabilty, I drive 600-800 miles a week.

The durability might be an issue, mine are extremely soft, after being at ksrocks there's cuts all over them from the rocks, I'm guessing maybe 25,000 miles out of them.

Update time for my set, they are not holding up to the abuse I put them through at all. Rocks have been taking their toll on my tires considerably, they have started to chunk out really bad in some areas missing hole chunks of tread on some of the lugs. I also have several long slits running down the length of the tires from sharp rocks. If these were just going to be driven on the street they would probably last but after just 6 or 7 trips to the off road park they are showing it. I've owned other mt's and wheeled with other guys who went over the same things as me and they did not have the same problems with their tires that I am.

Also going to ad that the tires do grip very well off road for never airing them down, they also shine in the mud.

off road use only

So, would these hold up if only used for off road and not for daily driving? Would be some road driving, as my local ORP is about 30 miles from my house. I figure these are cheap enough to have as an extra set for just offroad.

So, would these hold up if only used for off road and not for daily driving? Would be some road driving, as my local ORP is about 30 miles from my house. I figure these are cheap enough to have as an extra set for just offroad.

They would be awesome for that, I'm putting roughly 1000 miles a month on them which isn't helping them wear any better, They make some decent noise on the highway but not too bad. They have really good traction and my guess is that will improve even more if I aired them down.

I think they would be fine for that. If you wait until August they will have some larger sizes available.

This was in am email from them awhile ago.

As most of you are probably aware, we don't send out many newsletters. We hate unsolicited email as much as you do. Over the last year, though, we have had many requests for "bigger sizes". Well we would like to officially announce that starting in August (projected) of this year we will be offering the 315/75R16, 315/70R17, and 37x12.50R16.5 in the Guard Dog tread design exclusively! Please continue to check up on our website, Facebook, or Twitter for news and updates.

Also, starting in April we now have available the 285/65R18 in the Guard Dog tread design! Our first 18" tire in a M/T tread!

I just ordered a set of the Sentinels in 265/75/16 for my frontier. Should be here thursday and hopefully mounted up friday. Then I will be hitting the highway saturday for about a 100 mile trip.
Dan

Back