Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Trembles while driving

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by dking, March 23, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. dking

dking Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Winterville,NC
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1992/2000 Explorer XLT
    My 92 4x2 4 Door trembles while driving down the road at all speeds. if you let off the gas the truck rides pretty smooth. It trembles only while giving it gas. when the truck is in park the motor runs smooth. Transmission fluid level is good and shifts fine. Not sure were to start looking anybody have any ideas? I need all the help I can get.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Anime

Anime EF YEAH!! Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    2018 EX Sport Concept
    I would guess that the driveshaft u-joints are the cause, since the needle bearings lose grease over time, and if they are still the stock units, they might be dry or at least undergreased and worn. New u-joints can make an otherwise old vehicle drive like new.

The first gen driveshafts also get flaky rust and scale on them, which seems to be enough to affect the balance. Removing this rust and scale and painting with a good rust preventative paint can cure the imbalance. Good thing to do if replacing u-joints during driveshaft removal anyway.

Could also be anything alignment related, bushings, tire/wheel balance, shocks, etc. Might even just be the transmission fluid is old and so it shudders a little under load, same thing with the gear oil.

4. dking

dking Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Winterville,NC
    1992/2000 Explorer XLT
    I was hoping it would be something I could fix. Transmission fluid and gear oil was changed about a year ago. Same with the shocks. It has stock U joints so after 20 years of service they need to be replaced. I don't have the tools and here recently no time. Sounds like a trip to the shop for the old girl. Thanks Anime for the quick replay.

5. Anime

Anime EF YEAH!! Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    2018 EX Sport Concept
    You can rent the ball joint/u-joint press to pop the u-joints out of the driveshaft yokes from most auto parts stores for free, other than that it's just a 12pt socket to remove the bolts holding the retainers on and a torque wrench to tighten them.

Also worth noting, the Dana/Spicer brand U-joints are worth getting, they are the OE replacements but they've also made several improvements over the years, including strength, so getting these if you can will be the best bang for the buck.

6. 94 Eddie

94 Eddie New Member

94 Explorer
    My initial thought was a bad plug or wire but hard for me to figure out a tremble
    Does it seem down on power?

7. Roadrunner777

Roadrunner777 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Bemidji, MN
    94 4x4 Sport 88k
    I could see a bad rear axle bearing doing this too. I have experienced this, albeit in a 73 Cadillac. But, I'd say 90 chance it is a u joint.

8. dking

dking Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Winterville,NC
    1992/2000 Explorer XLT
    Turns out it was the rear u-joint. Now I have to change out the fuel gauge sending unit.

9. wood1

wood1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    North of Edmonton
    '93 XLT, Cayman Green RIP
    Probably not the sending unit, the float is known to stop er, floating. I used one from a junk yard that was from an S-10.

10. dking

dking Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Winterville,NC
    1992/2000 Explorer XLT
    I kinda have ruled that out because the fuel gauge needle will read empty to full no matter how much gas is in the tank. The needle just floats around.

11. wood1

wood1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    North of Edmonton
    '93 XLT, Cayman Green RIP
    Right on. Post your fix when you get it done.

12. dking

dking Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Winterville,NC
    1992/2000 Explorer XLT
    Turns out the sending unit did not correct the problem. My the that worked on it will look at it again next week. The cost of the repairs he wanted to refund yesterday i told him lets wait and see what it takes to fix it and then we would settle up. Anybody have any ideas?

13. awood

awood Active Member

City, State:
    Kaysville, utah
    94 XLT
    If the sender isn't the problem, I would consider wiring next before the gauge. Our Ex's are getting old enough now that more and more wiring issues seem to be popping up. That's true at least for me. But the gauge (with anti-slosh module), sending unit, and wiring are the only components. The fuel gauge shares a ground with the oil press gauge, so it's likely not on that leg (unless your oil press gauge is acting up too). But I'd check the power side if the gauge (pin A14). Next I'd check the wiring from the gauge (pin B5) to the sender (yellow/white wire). Of course this info is for my 94, but they should be similar.

I could be way off here. The gauge could still be the culprit, but it's just a process of elimination.

14. dking

dking Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Winterville,NC
    1992/2000 Explorer XLT
    Turns out it was the anti-slosh module. The mechanic that had been working on it for me found the problem. I had not had the time to work on it myself. Glad that is over with now.