Trembles while driving

dking

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Winterville,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992/2000 Explorer XLT
My 92 4x2 4 Door trembles while driving down the road at all speeds. if you let off the gas the truck rides pretty smooth. It trembles only while giving it gas. when the truck is in park the motor runs smooth. Transmission fluid level is good and shifts fine. Not sure were to start looking anybody have any ideas? I need all the help I can get.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would guess that the driveshaft u-joints are the cause, since the needle bearings lose grease over time, and if they are still the stock units, they might be dry or at least undergreased and worn. New u-joints can make an otherwise old vehicle drive like new.

The first gen driveshafts also get flaky rust and scale on them, which seems to be enough to affect the balance. Removing this rust and scale and painting with a good rust preventative paint can cure the imbalance. Good thing to do if replacing u-joints during driveshaft removal anyway.

Could also be anything alignment related, bushings, tire/wheel balance, shocks, etc. Might even just be the transmission fluid is old and so it shudders a little under load, same thing with the gear oil.

I was hoping it would be something I could fix. Transmission fluid and gear oil was changed about a year ago. Same with the shocks. It has stock U joints so after 20 years of service they need to be replaced. I don't have the tools and here recently no time. Sounds like a trip to the shop for the old girl. Thanks Anime for the quick replay.

You can rent the ball joint/u-joint press to pop the u-joints out of the driveshaft yokes from most auto parts stores for free, other than that it's just a 12pt socket to remove the bolts holding the retainers on and a torque wrench to tighten them.

Also worth noting, the Dana/Spicer brand U-joints are worth getting, they are the OE replacements but they've also made several improvements over the years, including strength, so getting these if you can will be the best bang for the buck.

My initial thought was a bad plug or wire but hard for me to figure out a tremble
Does it seem down on power?

Turns out it was the rear u-joint. Now I have to change out the fuel gauge sending unit.

Probably not the sending unit, the float is known to stop er, floating. I used one from a junk yard that was from an S-10.

I kinda have ruled that out because the fuel gauge needle will read empty to full no matter how much gas is in the tank. The needle just floats around.

Right on. Post your fix when you get it done.

Turns out the sending unit did not correct the problem. My the that worked on it will look at it again next week. The cost of the repairs he wanted to refund yesterday i told him lets wait and see what it takes to fix it and then we would settle up. Anybody have any ideas?

If the sender isn't the problem, I would consider wiring next before the gauge. Our Ex's are getting old enough now that more and more wiring issues seem to be popping up. That's true at least for me. But the gauge (with anti-slosh module), sending unit, and wiring are the only components. The fuel gauge shares a ground with the oil press gauge, so it's likely not on that leg (unless your oil press gauge is acting up too). But I'd check the power side if the gauge (pin A14). Next I'd check the wiring from the gauge (pin B5) to the sender (yellow/white wire). Of course this info is for my 94, but they should be similar.

I could be way off here. The gauge could still be the culprit, but it's just a process of elimination.

Turns out it was the anti-slosh module. The mechanic that had been working on it for me found the problem. I had not had the time to work on it myself. Glad that is over with now.

Back