Trouble Starting 2003 4.6

HiImBrian

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St. Petersburg, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hey everyone. It's been a while but I'm still around. I was hoping to pick your brains for a minute if I could.

A good friend of mine drives an 03 4.6 like mine and he is having some issues getting it started and needs it like yesterday, so he asked me to help. But! I can't figure it out at all.

When the key is inserted and turned the starter clicks rapidly and the engine shudders with each click. The fan blades move about one inch for every click. After you try and start it the message center says Reduced Engine Power and Check Fuel Cap. It sat for about 9 months but it has good gas.

The PATS light on the dash turns off when the key is turned so it's not that.

I checked the battery and cables and it's not that.

The starter clicks so it's not that.

And the fuel lines all have pressure so it's not that.

It's not throwing any codes at all.

I'm out of ideas. Anybody? Bueller?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone?

I'd have to go with starter. It may be turning some, but sounds like it's not able to turn over.

If you test it off the car, the bendix will probably throw and even spin. But with the engine load it doesn't.

The starter clicking rapidly is usually a sign of a bad starter or not enough amps at it.

That's kinda what I was leaning toward too. I'm going to pull it and throw a new one on anyway just to see how it goes.

I'd have to go with starter. It may be turning some, but sounds like it's not able to turn over. If you test it off the car, the bendix will probably throw and even spin. But with the engine load it doesn't. The starter clicking rapidly is usually a sign of a bad starter or not enough amps at it.

Any other ideas to try?

Replaced his bad starter (had it tested to be sure) and the new starter clicked once on the first try, once on the second try, and rapidly like the old starter on the third try. Da fuq?

Have you done a drop test on the starters power cable?

Back