Trouble starting car | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trouble starting car

halfbakedj14

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer
The other day I was completely unable to start my car. It would make the typical noise before the engine get's going except the engine would never start. It would just make the sound like it want's to start but it wouldn't start. I didn't hear the clicking sound that's associated with the battery. But later on in the day though my car started just fine! Didn't have a problem starting it at all. Now this morning when I tried to start my car it started but the engine was *putting*, I had to push on the gas pedal to get the engine to fully start working. I stopped at a store and started my car again and it worked just fine. I'm at a loss for what's going on here so i'm hoping someone could help me out on what the problem may be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bad news, on my way home my car completely died. Out of nowhere I lose my power steering/brakes and have to pull over on the side of the road. I tried starting it several times and it sounded like it wanted to start but wouldn’t happen. After several attempts when I put my key into the ON position nothing happens anymore, I can’t even get the car to try and start anymore. Everyone keeps telling me it's my Fuel Pump so I purchased a new one for about $130. Does the fuel pump seem like it would be the problem?

bad fuel pump?

After checking your other posts I learned that you have a 1996 Explorer with the OHV V6 engine. A failing fuel pump is one of many possible sources for your engine not starting. I would have tested the fuel pressure before spending $130 on a new pump. See Ford Explorer Ranger Fuel pressure test procedure
Anyway, if you still have the original sixteen year old pump it's probably time to replace it even if it's not the source of your problem. For some other ideas see: Ford Explorer Engine No Start Procedure

Shoot I forgot to post what kind of car I had, yes it’s a 96 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition V6 4.0. I had my step dad check the relay switch and he said that was fine. If not the pump/filter(which I plan on changing tomorrow) what else might the problem be?

quick checks

. . . If not the pump/filter(which I plan on changing tomorrow) what else might the problem be?

Check for spark at one of the plugs.

If there's spark then spray starting fluid into the intake manifold to see if engine runs for a second or two.

Took my car into the shop and it was the fuel pump. Car *Works* but since getting it back I have an unrelated? problem.

My headlights wouldn't turn off when I turned my car off, in fact it drained my car's battery and I had to jump it to get it working. When I jumped it the lights still stayed on.

So I disconnect the negative battery and the headlights turn off and stay off when I reconnect the negative battery......

Now my front and rear dome light's won't turn off. I've tried disconnecting the negative battery for like 5 min but every time I reconnect the negative battery the dome lights come on and stay on.

I'm at a loss for how to solve this.

Problem solved.

The guy who installed my new fuel pump *forgot* to mention that he needed to jump my car every time to get it to start, so I wasn’t aware of this when I got my car back.

My car would not start without getting a jump. I took it to Autozone and they said they’d test to see if it was my battery and or alternator. Turns out when my car died originally my battery completely died as well. It wouldn’t hold a charge. So I purchased a new battery, they installed, and my car has been working great since.

Back