Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Trouble starting engine

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by ProtonPusher, July 12, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. ProtonPusher

ProtonPusher New Member

I have a 94 Mazda Navajo. Lately it is having minor trouble starting after it has been sitting a while: roughly 6 hours or more. The first attempt to start sounds normal, but the engine just does not catch, and sometimes there is a bit of a wheeze at the end. I will usually let it crank for 1 or 2 seconds. It usually will start fine after cranking the engine a 2nd time, although sometimes runs a bit rough for a couple of seconds. It does not seem temperature dependent since it will happen on warm afternoons.

I would like to fix this before it gets worse. Any thoughts out there what might be wrong?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. MrShorty

MrShorty Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Spanish Fork, UT
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
      My first thought on something like this is a fuel issue. 1st thing I would probably do would be to put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what the fuel system is doing when it is hard to start.

4. ProtonPusher

ProtonPusher New Member

That sounds reasonable. It will be a couple of days before I can get the fuel pressure gauge to check.

5. arco777

arco777 Elite Explorer

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1994 Explorer 2dr 4x4
      Also check for vacuum leaks. They can cause starting issues and often produce a wheeze.

Had a 93 that would not start easily one day. It was difficult to start and when it did, it would idle rough. After spraying carb cleaner under the hood with it running, I narrowed down the problem to the vacuum tree. Turned out a rubber vacuum cap had decayed and crumbled, and was leaking vacuum. A new cap made the motor start and run like new.