1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

trouble starting my sport trac. HELP!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wazhinga, January 27, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. wazhinga

wazhinga New Member

City, State:
    boise, ID
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2001 explorer sport trac
    Hey all, I'm new to this forum and hoping you guys can help me out. I own a 2001 Ford explorer sport trac. 6 years and no problems then all hell breaks loose with problems.
    My first problem was when I started my car in 10*F weather she barely could keep alive and after warming it up for a few min I proceeded to drive it but was not getting the full acceleration I normally have. I could barely reach speeds of 40 and then the car would "put put" almost like its out of gas. So my friend checked and changed all spark plugs and wires, new oil change. After those changes my car ran pretty good no more acceleration problems. Though a few days after it started doing it again but would quit after I drove awhile- I'm thinkn the cold weather is givin my car a hard time.
    Now just yesterday I was driving (everything normal) then BAM my engine shut off, lights still on just the engine quit. So I pulled over, put it in park turned off lights and tried starting it- nothin, it would turn over meaning it was tryn to start but to no avail. So I got towed and even tried starting it while being pulled and it wouldn't , in fact my battery started to die.
    My friend came over again to look at it and we checked/replaced the fuel filter. When we primed the car it would leak fuel so does that mean my fuel pump works? Also put B12 CHEMTOOL in the gas tank, even tried starter fluid and still no starting the car. We checked some fuses and still no results, we checked a spark plug and it was wet. Not sure if it was because of fuel or the snow/rain. So we checked all spark plugs to see if they all got spark and all but one worked. (6 spark plugs) could that be a problem as to not starting my car? I charged my battery so I don't think the alternator is the problem.
    Couple suggestions I got were
    to get a new cam shaft Or crank shaft sensor
    Bad coil pack where spark plug plugs into.
    If anybody has any info or has had the same problem let me know. I'll try to answer any questions you guys might have.. thanks for any replys. P.s. I'm not good with cars sorry if I'm not giving enough info.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. wazhinga

wazhinga New Member

City, State:
    boise, ID
    2001 explorer sport trac
    Anybody have any advice??

4. swshawaii

swshawaii Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
    '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
  5. carnut49

carnut49 New Member

City, State:
    Northern New Jersey
    2001 Explorer Sport Trac
    Trouble Starting Sport Trac in cold

Hi all,
    I have a 2001 Explorer Sport Trac, bought used about 6 years ago, now with just over 100,000 miles. It has been very dependable till now. It has a starting problem.
    I have read the tread on this subject, but haven't seen this particular problem variant mentioned.
    I have corrected the starting problem twice by working on the inertia switch, the last time, bypassing it with a jumper wire, but then we got really cold here in northern NJ and the truck wouldn't start for over a week. Nothing worked!
    Last Monday, the 28th, the car wouldn't start, temp was in the very low 30's after being in the 20's the previous week. I checked the voltages at the inertia switch which was 6.4 volts and I checked out the relay and the voltages. The relay was good (swapped relays as well) and the voltages were 11.5 volts. I even jumped the voltage on the direct line to the pump in the relay set up to see if the truck would start and it didn't.
    Tuesday we went into the 40's and the truck started after cranking 3 or 4 times. I checked all the voltages again and they were the same. I jumped the direct line to the pump to see if it would start and it did.
    Is there something else here that should be looked at before I do the pump?
    Is the problem the pump and it needs to be replaced?
    Also, both of the grounding straps from the body to the frame were found broken during the summer and I fixed the one on the passenger side, but haven't replaced the one on the driver's side. Could this be part of the problem?
    Thanking all of you in advance for any advice to come.
    carnut49, Gary