Truck died while idling, battery gauge low | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck died while idling, battery gauge low

Keeter

Reaction score
City, State
Baxter, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97
Hi all,

My ex died this morning while idling and started up fine again but now the battery gauge is low. Alternator? Bad connections? Thanks for your help!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like it could be your alternator,if your gauge is giving a low reading. It might not be charging your battery. Most autoparts stores (Autozone,PepBoys,etc) will check your battery and alternator for free. That would be your best bet. When dealing with the electrical system,any one of those (loose connection,battery,alternator) will give similar symptoms.
Tim

you also might want to make sure that your battery terminals are clean. Pour some baking soda and water mix on them and then use a metal bruch to clean them off. Make sure that you take the terminals off the battery and clean everything. That might work...good luck

What color are your headlights when you turn them on? If they are a tad bit on the orange side, then it is probably your battery. A lot of times when it's your battery, (but it can just as easily be your alternator too I guess) the alternator will be not too far behind(that is if you don't fix of the problem quick). And vice versa for the alternator. Just go to one of those shops but make sure you know what's going on exactly.

I wish it was my "ex" that kicked the bucket this morning :)

Back