Truck Haven Hills, CA in October 25 - 26 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck Haven Hills, CA in October 25 - 26

Which I recently found out is illegal and considered a firearm in California. :(

Making it pneumatic makes it ok however:D

I don't think potato guns meet the definition of a firearm. If it does, you have every right to manufacture your own firearm for your exclusive use. You just can't sell, trade, give away, etc.

Got this letter from the ATF off of Calguns;
ATF -- Yes, they are legal.

Department of the Treasury
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Washington, DC 20226

As defined in section 921(a) (3) of Title 18, United States Code (USC) the term "firearm" means --

(A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;
(B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon;
(C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or
(D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

As defined in 26 USC subsection 5845(f) (2) the term destructive device includes any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may readily be converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellent, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary or his delegate finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes; and (3) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device as defined in subparagraphs (1) and (2) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled. The term 'destructive device' shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684(2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10 of the USC; or any other device which the Secretary of the Treasury or his delegate finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, or is an antique or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting purposes.

It is unlawful for anyone to make or possess a destructive device which is not registered in accordance with the provisions of the National Firearms Act.

We have previously examined that certain muzzle loading devices known as "potato guns." These potato guns are constructed from PVC plastic tubing. They use hair spray or a similar aerosol substance for a propellant, and have some type of spark ignitor. We have determined that these devices, as described, are not firearms provided that they are used solely for launching potatoes for recreational purposes. However, any such devices which are used as weapons or used to launch other forms of projectiles may be firearms and destructive devices as defined.

Firearms Technology Branch, Room 6450
650 Massachusetts Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20226

Sincerely yours,

(signature)
Curtis H. A. Bartlett Acting Chief, Firearms Technology Branch

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since I can't make this truckhaven run, I'm up for an Arizona Run on your way back. I've wheel with [MENTION=71]Rick[/MENTION]More in California than in the state we both live in..

~Mark

I think I am going to try to figure out how to go on the secondary AZ run.

:D:chug::D:chug::hammer::hammer:

I don't think potato guns meet the definition of a firearm. If it does, you have every right to manufacture your own firearm for your exclusive use. You just can't sell, trade, give away, etc.

Got this letter from the ATF off of Calguns;
ATF -- Yes, they are legal.

Department of the Treasury
Washington, DC 20226

As defined in section 921(a) (3) of Title 18, United States Code (USC) the term "firearm" means --

(A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;
(B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon;
(C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or
(D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

As defined in 26 USC subsection 5845(f) (2) the term destructive device includes any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may readily be converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellent, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary or his delegate finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes; and (3) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device as defined in subparagraphs (1) and (2) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled. The term 'destructive device' shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684(2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10 of the USC; or any other device which the Secretary of the Treasury or his delegate finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, or is an antique or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting purposes.

It is unlawful for anyone to make or possess a destructive device which is not registered in accordance with the provisions of the National Firearms Act.

We have previously examined that certain muzzle loading devices known as "potato guns." These potato guns are constructed from PVC plastic tubing. They use hair spray or a similar aerosol substance for a propellant, and have some type of spark ignitor. We have determined that these devices, as described, are not firearms provided that they are used solely for launching potatoes for recreational purposes. However, any such devices which are used as weapons or used to launch other forms of projectiles may be firearms and destructive devices as defined.

Firearms Technology Branch, Room 6450
650 Massachusetts Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20226

Sincerely yours,

(signature)
Curtis H. A. Bartlett Acting Chief, Firearms Technology Branch

but if I'm using it on state land? Seems like a lot of grey area here. I guess as long as your not causing trouble.

but if I'm using it on state land? Seems like a lot of grey area here. I guess as long as your not causing trouble.

This nanny state has gone way above and beyond. I wish I could talk the wife into moving. I keep leaving northern Arizona ranch adds I looked up on line on the computer. Found one last night next to the entrance to the Sycamore Canyon trail system near Flagstaff. It was eight miles down a dirt road and had broadband service.

It's everywhere... The reason our racetrack can never open again is because the state refuses to lease their land to any motorsports venue for fear of being sued:(

As you said, nanny state.

..Looking for Newbies to join in, bump..:D

anyone know of any runs out in New Mexico? Im brand new, just signed up. Just picked up a 92 explorer sport to play with, need to learn the ropes.

Not from this group, but [MENTION=1644]Brian1[/MENTION] may have some suggestions.

denvar20, I will send you a private message with some info on local groups

Is this the year Brian wheels Truckhaven?

You know you want to..:)

Is this the year Brian wheels Truckhaven?

You know you want to..:)

I came real close last year to wheeling there when I went to Ocotillo Wells and may be going there again in October, unfortunately not coinciding with these dates.

..let us know what dates and we will make sure you won't be camping and wheeling alone..:)

That goes for RockRanger too...You hear me Matt?..:)

anyone know of any runs out in New Mexico? Im brand new, just signed up. Just picked up a 92 explorer sport to play with, need to learn the ropes.

Denvar, one of the stops I plan on making in Oct on the way to Truckhaven is in La Bajada, this will be during the week before the Truckhaven run. Dates for NM are not written in stone, so maybe we can link up somewhere on my way out to Ca if you cannot make it to LaBajada during the week.

Does anyone have any suggestion as to how we can scare up some more interest in this run?

Does anyone have any suggestion as to how we can scare up some more interest in this run?

Don't know. I do know that Truckhaven is a playground for big kids with 4x4's. Best place to test out a rigs capabilities I have encountered, and its close for most Southern California dwellers. Something there for everyone.

Would love that...:thumbsup:

Give away door prizes?
Invite a Magazine again?
Invite Ford?:D
Get the word out on other boards...although not sure what we'll get:(

Gas is getting cheaper, and should be even better as we switch over to winter blend in the next month.

It doesn't help everyone keeps selling there rigs:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back